Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

building intake mani for my d

Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
RagPhoto.net

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough
Default building intake mani for my d

i got a d16y7 with a zc intake manifold but want to try to make a new intake manifold. i would use the flange part of my stock manifold then i was guessing i would use some piping as the plenum(i beleive) then build a box for the throttle body to connect to.

i would like to know if i am missing anything or if you all could give me some design ideas.

any help would be awesome. thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default Re: building intake mani for my d

Originally Posted by ACCORDKID
i got a d16y7 with a zc intake manifold but want to try to make a new intake manifold. i would use the flange part of my stock manifold then i was guessing i would use some piping as the plenum(i beleive) then build a box for the throttle body to connect to.

i would like to know if i am missing anything or if you all could give me some design ideas.

any help would be awesome. thanks

It's going to be hard to figure everything out. Don't forget that you're going to change how it flows, and the internal volume aswell. And the locations for sensors.

Good luck. Find someone that can tig their ass off too.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

May I ask why you want to do this? I understand that you want to improve the efficiency of your set-up... but what type of driving/racing are you focusing on?

I've done extensive research on these type of mods. Honestly, it almost not worth the money and time unless you have access to an aluminum welder, lathe, or milling machine.... and dont just rely on a buddy to do stuff for you, especially if you are the one doing the design. The most efficient intake manifold design are the ones with slightly decreasing plenum area towards runner #1.... see Full-Race intake manifold design.... It is also advisable to incorporate velocity stacks for each runners.... even with a plenum. Go to Honda-Tech welding anf fabrication forum. You'll see plenty of impressive designs and fabrication enough to give you a hard-on.

If I were you, you should just build yourself an ITB set-up.... Here's one that I did:
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/eye-candy-20/itb-fab-gsr-head-208706/

Goodluck....
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

Basic design is pretty simple. Runner length/width and plenum size are the big factors. You want the most velocity and volume. Too much volume will decrease velocity though. There are also a bunch of little things that effect on how good and evenly you distribute air like thermal mentioned. You wont know this unless you go back and forth from a flow bench to a dyno and make a couple of IM to understand what best suits your engine. In other words, spending a lot of money.

This all depends on how well you designed your cylinder head and where you want your power band. If you have a stock or unfinished head then I wouldn't recommend it till you have run out of things to do.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 AM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thermal
May I ask why you want to do this? I understand that you want to improve the efficiency of your set-up... but what type of driving/racing are you focusing on?

I've done extensive research on these type of mods. Honestly, it almost not worth the money and time unless you have access to an aluminum welder, lathe, or milling machine.... and dont just rely on a buddy to do stuff for you, especially if you are the one doing the design. The most efficient intake manifold design are the ones with slightly decreasing plenum area towards runner #1.... see Full-Race intake manifold design.... It is also advisable to incorporate velocity stacks for each runners.... even with a plenum. Go to Honda-Tech welding anf fabrication forum. You'll see plenty of impressive designs and fabrication enough to give you a hard-on.

If I were you, you should just build yourself an ITB set-up.... Here's one that I did:
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208706

Goodluck....
i like the idea of itbs. it seems a little simpler. plus it looks oober cool!

btw i'm setting my car up for drag
Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by ACCORDKID

btw i'm setting my car up for drag

Since when?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I agree that this is a significant project without a lot of knowledge and research. Although this would be a good learning experience, and probably fun, it could very easily turn into a big waste of time and money without being able to make something worthwhile the first (or second..) time around.

If it's just a D16, why not try to optimize the stock plenum through extrude honing and port matching? Unless you're running some serious flow, or have some reason that the stock plenum won't work, it's going to be hard to improve upon the stock piece for what you're doing. For the power gains you're talking about, this might be time (and money) better spent elsewhere. You'd be amazed at what an extrude honing can do for flow, both volume and quality.
This all goes out the window if you're talking about an ITB setup obviously. My advice if you're going that route is to start with a new flange and build from there, the stock casting can be used with coupler-type ITBs but it's not that ideal and usually ends up a bit ghetto. Starting with thinwall straight tubing for the runners will give better results..