Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Build a B20vtec or buy a JDM B20???

Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish
Default Build a B20vtec or buy a JDM B20???

So, I posted a little while back that I over revved my engine (B18B) in my Integra and now I have rod knock.

Right now, I feel like I have two options; either throw together a B20vtec, or buy a JDM B20, but I have too many questions to make a decision.

I'm looking for someone that has experience with building Honda motors, and may be able to give me an idea of what to expect.

I have a B20 short block and a B16 head with all valvetrain. Block came from a motor I bought that was "running badly" there was lots of carbon buildup on the pistons, had a broken crank angle sensor and possibly a bent valve from looking at the head. I was told it had 75k on it. The B16 head I was told was good, but "should probably be checked out". I also have an OBD1 B16 distributor, gsr cams, vtec solenoid, etc...

If I can get the B20vtec running for less than/equal to $600, that is what I would prefer to do. I just haven't done this before and I'm not sure what work at a machine shop is going to run or what is really necessary at a bare minimum. I can put it together in my garage at home if I can get away with it.

Do I need to deck the Block? Head?

Can I get the block "inspected" at a machine shop? Will they charge some reasonable amount of money to clean and inspect the block and head? What are the chances I'm going to need new bearings? rings? bore/hone? decking? Can I just do this myself with plastigage and other tools?

Do I need new rod/main bearings/bolts? Aren't the stock bolts all torque to yield? So, If I take the mains/rods off to plastigage them, won't I need new bolts?

Parts I need:
vtec conversion kit with gasket ~$200
Head Studs ~$100 (is there something cheaper, can I reuse stock tty ones?)
Valve cover ~$50
Timing belt ~$50
Oil pump ? Water pump ? (Do I have to have a vtec oil/water pump If I'm not going to beat the piss out of it?)

I have read enough about doing things "the right way" to know that I don't have enough money for that right now. That being said, am I wasting my time trying to half ass it, or is it a reasonable idea.

Last edited by Tunafish; 06-02-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM
BACK IN A G8

2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr
Default Re: Build a B20vtec or buy a JDM B20???

Originally Posted by Tunafish
So, I posted a little while back that I over revved my engine (B18B) in my Integra and now I have rod knock.

Right now, I feel like I have two options; either throw together a B20vtec, or buy a JDM B20, but I have too many questions to make a decision.

I'm looking for someone that has experience with building Honda motors, and may be able to give me an idea of what to expect.

I have a B20 short block and a B16 head with all valvetrain. Block came from a motor I bought that was "running badly" there was lots of carbon buildup on the pistons, had a broken crank angle sensor and possibly a bent valve from looking at the head. I was told it had 75k on it. The B16 head I was told was good, but "should probably be checked out". I also have an OBD1 B16 distributor, gsr cams, vtec solenoid, etc...

If I can get the B20vtec running for less than/equal to $600, that is what I would prefer to do. I just haven't done this before and I'm not sure what work at a machine shop is going to run or what is really necessary at a bare minimum. I can put it together in my garage at home if I can get away with it.

Do I need to deck the Block? Head?

Can I get the block "inspected" at a machine shop? Will they charge some reasonable amount of money to clean and inspect the block and head? What are the chances I'm going to need new bearings? rings? bore/hone? decking? Can I just do this myself with plastigage and other tools?

Do I need new rod/main bearings/bolts? Aren't the stock bolts all torque to yield? So, If I take the mains/rods off to plastigage them, won't I need new bolts?

Parts I need:
vtec conversion kit with gasket ~$200
Head Studs ~$100 (is there something cheaper, can I reuse stock tty ones?)
Valve cover ~$50
Timing belt ~$50
Oil pump ? Water pump ? (Do I have to have a vtec oil/water pump If I'm not going to beat the piss out of it?)

I have read enough about doing things "the right way" to know that I don't have enough money for that right now. That being said, am I wasting my time trying to half ass it, or is it a reasonable idea.
just build the motor you got or take it to someone (judging from your post).
Also please go on honda-tech and research the build....There's been shitloads documented there.
In case that's too hard, here's some really old examples
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1676914
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php
Have a nice day...

Last edited by 2ltrgsr; 06-02-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr
just build the motor you got or take it to someone (judging from your post).
Also please go on honda-tech and research the build....There's been shitloads documented there.
In case that's too hard, here's some really old examples
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1676914
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php
Have a nice day...
Quoted for truth, do your homework
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered member

mikejones002100 has disabled reputation

it depends on what you want to do with the motor to be honest? ive had a b20/vtec that was very reliable but i had a reliable tune on it and it pulled very nice and gave me no issues what so ever for over a year....if you rev any stock ls or b20 past 7200 u have a chance in failure...i revved mine to 8000 though and had no issue's but thats problly cuz i got lucky...if your not looking to rev the car to 8500 everyday then you will have good success with a stock jdm b20b but if u want to be hard on the motor and rev it high and be safe and utilize the use of a vtec head with high revs then deff build the b20 bottom and you will have alot safer and better results with a built bottom...