Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

broken bolt in LCA!!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Love boost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4 ekay4
Default broken bolt in LCA!!

i was trying to change my lca's on my civic and the bolt broke inside when i was trying to take it off (its the bolt closest to the drum)...what can i do t remove the bolt???!!? please help!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda
Default Re: broken bolt in LCA!!

this is very common, and probably could have been resolved with the search tab, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The bolt SHOULD NOT have to thread thru the LCA, so you should be able to tap whats left of it out of the LCA itself. If what youre talking about is that the bolt broke off in the opposing side where it threads, simply take a drill and drill it out, or if there's enough overhang then use vice-grips to very slowly back it out.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

kibbles has disabled reputation

an air chiseal works best thats what i used to get mine out,
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM
hand made is better

redhotcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

what i did is took the whole trailing arm off. then i put it in the shop and welded a nut to the threads. then i took a hack saw and starter cutting the lca at the spot where it touches the trailing arm. then i heated the threaded hole for the bolt thread then slowly turned it out. if you cant get it this way then just take a hacksaw and cut the lca out but dont cut the lcs. just the bushing. you might have to do it on both sides. good luck and take it slow.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
BAMBOOZELED!!!

scarekrow101 has disabled reputation

easy out

http://yhst-13185147461285.stores.ya...screwexse.html

works wonders from lca bolts to head studs
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts

whats the easiest way to get the bolt out of the upper control arm if the head breaks off the bolt
Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Originally Posted by 00si
whats the easiest way to get the bolt out of the upper control arm if the head breaks off the bolt
Get a saw, cut the threaded section off the bolt inbetween the bushing and the trailing arm. pull the upper control arm out and knock out the remaining straight portion of the bolt from inside the bushing (use lots of PB blaster) it may not even come out... Honda uses strong hardware so drilling takes FOREVER! Hope you have a good drill press... Then remove the threaded portion of the bolt from the nut side of the trailing arm and replace with a new bolt...
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Originally Posted by ekay4
i was trying to change my lca's on my civic and the bolt broke inside when i was trying to take it off (its the bolt closest to the drum)...what can i do t remove the bolt???!!? please help!
You may need to cut the bolt on the other side to get the control arm off... Then just loosen the threaded part that is left behind.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Virginia Beach 757

_crs has disabled reputation

Best thing to do....

Find an excuse to buy new control arms