Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

brakes sticking

Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 AM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default brakes sticking

vehicle is a 2003 xterra

back story: replaced my girlfriend front calibers, pads, and rotors roughly a year/year and a half ago. Replaced calipers due to a mechanic saying the calipers were bad. Everything has worked fine.

Present time: brakes sound god awful, like they did about a year ago (sounds like metal on metal). She had NO pad left when I change them last. though it sounds like metal on metal this time, there is still plenty of pad left, and the rotors dont looks bad. Took the passenger side tire off and hit the brakes, released, with my dad outside trying to spin the wheel. when releasing the brake, it feels like the brakes are sticking.

I was recommended by a friend to change thos brake hoses up front, as they can deteriorate inside and the debree can cause the brakes to engage, but not disengage completely. Any other recommendations on what to check/replace? The pressure feels fine and it stops fine.

thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Re: brakes sticking

u gotta shimmy it
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Break the bleeder loose on the caliper and see if it releases. If it does it's the hose, if not it's the caliper.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by GATOR
Break the bleeder loose on the caliper and see if it releases. If it does it's the hose, if not it's the caliper.
How simple and completely logical. Thanks. +rep
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Grease the caliper slide pins.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM
GLHF

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Grease the caliper slide pins.
I made sure to do that when I replaced them. Could this need to be redone within a year and a half? Either way, I'll be in there replacing the pads, so I'll check them out and do it again.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

If you used the wrong grease and it gummed up it could... There's a specific type of caliper lube to use. I have a bottle of it that I've been using for like five years.

I recently replaced the pads on my fiance's 2007 X-Terra and have had no brake issues. I don't understand how you had a caliper go "bad"... what went wrong, why'd you replace them to begin with?

The other thing you can do is clean around the pistons and press them back into the bores with a c-clamp to make sure they move freely.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM
GLHF

If you used the wrong grease and it gummed up it could... There's a specific type of caliper lube to use. I have a bottle of it that I've been using for like five years.

I recently replaced the pads on my fiance's 2007 X-Terra and have had no brake issues. I don't understand how you had a caliper go "bad"... what went wrong, why'd you replace them to begin with?

The other thing you can do is clean around the pistons and press them back into the bores with a c-clamp to make sure they move freely.
she was having brake issues and she took it to a shop, who said she had a bad caliper so I replaced them both. Apparently this hasn't solved the issue, and a year is the right amount of time for everything to shoe up again. My thinking is there enough blockage in there to cause the brakes to stick just enough to cause a problem. It still drives but when trying to spin the wheel after letting off the break, it sticks very noticably.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Fanboi

The pads should drag the rotor some when trying to spin the wheel... it's what they do. What the heck does "a bad caliper" mean? Was the seal bad making it leak? Why are you getting "blockage" into the system? Brake fluid absorbs water over time, but won't do anything other than create poor pedal feel. Unless your seals are bad you shouldn't be pulling "stuff" into the sytem. You didn't put DOT 5 fluid in it or something?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM
GLHF

The pads should drag the rotor some when trying to spin the wheel... it's what they do.
I realise this. But after releasing the brake, its doesn't freely turn. You have to try fairly hard to make the tire spin

What the heck does "a bad caliper" mean? Was the seal bad making it leak?
girlfriend took the truck to a shop, the shop said your caliper is sticking, we are going to replace it. Instead of them paying the shop to do it, I said I would do it, costing them half the money.

Why are you getting "blockage" into the system? Brake fluid absorbs water over time, but won't do anything other than create poor pedal feel. Unless your seals are bad you shouldn't be pulling "stuff" into the sytem. You didn't put DOT 5 fluid in it or something?
As I mentioned in my first post, I was recommended by a friend to change the brake hoses up front, as they can deteriorate inside and the debree can allow the brakes to engage, but not disengage completely. This is the blockage I am speaking of. And yes, the car has brake fluid in it...

Quick Reply: brakes sticking