VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   brake rotor screw... (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/brake-rotor-screw-302763/)

staticv0id 07-25-2009 06:06 AM

brake rotor screw...

Ok, here's the deal, the brake rotor screws are completely stripped and seized on and refusing to come out. I've sprayed it with liquid wrench everyday for the past week, and then tried using an extractor to remove it, but still no luck, in fact the extractor bit itself snapped in half inside the screw (great!). So with no options left I tried to drill it out, well it looks like it worked for one of the screws, but for the screw that has the extractor bit broken inside of it I can't drill out the screw at all.

I need to change my brake rotor out, but I can't because of this stupid screw, so here's the deal, I'm located in sterling/dulles area and I'm willing to pay anyone who thinks they can drill out the screw, or do whatever it takes so that I can take off the brake rotor. I'm seriously just contemplating buying a whole new knuckle assembly, so please if you think you can do it help me out.

This is the one I manage to drill out (it looks like its drilled out)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/870/cimg0072.th.jpg

This is the one that has the extractor bit broken inside of the screw, I attempted to drill it out but even with a titanium drill bit I can't make any progress.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2469/cimg0069w.th.jpg

You can call/text me at 571-309-2060 or PM me, like I said I'm willing to pay you a reasonable amount if you can do whatever it takes so I can remove the brake rotor. You will need to bring your own tools, I'm not really worried about damage to the brake rotor, you can break it in half if you can do it or salvaging the screws because I don't need them. If I can't get the rotor off I'm buying a whole new knuckle assembly anyways.

Edit: If it matters the car is a del slow, and its the front passenger side. I'd also like to be able to do this without removing the knuckle assembly from the car as well.

Broke B16 07-25-2009 07:44 AM

Re: brake rotor screw...

Is the extractor the tool that you take a hammer to and hit it and it spins it out?

I've never used one, just saw my friend doing it and wondering. There is a specific tool for this.

Grease Monkey 07-25-2009 07:54 AM

the extractors are hardened steal.. you wont be able to drill it out with using a cobalt bit or something similar. Maybe you could chisel it out?

vr6orvtec 07-25-2009 08:09 AM

this happened to me before, I nailed a bit in there good and poof it came off with a dril, but I think you wont have that luck from the sounds of what youre going through, try welding a bit to the screw maybe that will work

Fabrik8 07-25-2009 08:46 AM

Grind it out. You'll destroy the brake rotor, but that's easy to replace and cheaper then the whole knuckle/hub assembly. You only have to grind the head of the screw off, then you should be able to pull the rotor off.

kricket3000 07-25-2009 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 5479590)
Grind it out. You'll destroy the brake rotor, but that's easy to replace and cheaper then the whole knuckle/hub assembly. You only have to grind the head of the screw off, then you should be able to pull the rotor off.

thats what i did:D

Excel Auto 07-25-2009 09:07 AM

You should be able to take a chisel and hit the screw counter clockwise to make it come out.

If not, grind out the head and pull the rotor off.

staticv0id 07-25-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 5479590)

Hmm... I never thought about that, I don't have a grinder but I will pick one up at Lowes, another tool I can add to my collection, I'm sure I can find tons of uses for it. I'm definitely not worried about destroying the brake rotor, it needs to be replaced anyways. Thanks for the help!

staticv0id 07-25-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Two Steppin (Post 5479459)
Is the extractor the tool that you take a hammer to and hit it and it spins it out?

I've never used one, just saw my friend doing it and wondering. There is a specific tool for this.

Nope, I used this extractor kit, I was told it works wonders for stripped screws and bolts, but I guess the screw was so frozen that when I tried to extract it, the extractor bit snapped right inside of the screw. :(

Fabrik8 07-25-2009 03:11 PM

If that entire kit was $16, those extractors are probably garbage. That could have been part of the problem. But yes, if the screw is that frozen it was probably much more force than the extractor can handle.