Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Brake fluid recommendation

Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fatjoe10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake fluid recommendation

Hello All,

I boiled out the brake fluid in my AP2 last night. Pedal sunk to the floor and very little brake power was present. After cooldown everything came back to normal. I realize my brake fluid had not been flushed in a long time, and this was a very strong reminder to get it done. With that in mind, what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I am looking for something that is able to withstand high brake temperatures without requiring frequent flush intervals. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:15 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz
Default Re: Brake fluid recommendation

What the hell are you doing to boil the brake fluid? ATE Super Blue is what I run in my R.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

everyone i know that goes to VIR in our group runs the brembo 600 stuff.

Pricey but no one has had any issue with it, know a few people who've boiled super blue. Also super blue cant be mixed with anything if you're in a bind.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Registered member

TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan TheMuffinMan

Originally Posted by JETSWU87
everyone i know that goes to VIR in our group runs the brembo 600 stuff.

Pricey but no one has had any issue with it, know a few people who've boiled super blue. Also super blue cant be mixed with anything if you're in a bind.

ATE Super Blue Racing High Performance Brake Fluid is designed to excel within the extreme demands made on a race vehicle and exceeds all DOT4 standards. It is compatible with and will mix well with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 fluids.
?

I just upgraded to Super Blue and did a full flush, but where are you getting that it can't be mixed with anything else?

I got the 1 L and had more than enough for the Accord w/ NSX front brakes.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Yeah, the 1L gives you plenty left over. I also want to know who are the guys that are boiling Super Blue. If its people in track prepped cars, who have lots of track experience, that isn't a fair comparison. MOST people won't boil Super Blue.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

fatjoe10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caRboxsesh
What the hell are you doing to boil the brake fluid? ATE Super Blue is what I run in my R.
Driving on a twisty road...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Be careful of what fluid you get, some are a lot better for street use with longer fluid change intervals than others. I would shy away from a hardcore race fluid because they can be a lot more hydroscopic than a (lower spec but longer lasting) performance street fluid.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Registered member

Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman Feffman

I run Elf's HTX brake fluid compliments of Performance Oil Store and haven't had any fading issues in the CTS-V or Radical. They also stock Motul, either should do just fine.

Feff
Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

you need to check your rubber hoses. If the hoses are old, or get too hot, they can expand. If they expand, then you're foot pressure on the brake pedal will just cause the fluid to push out on the tubes.

just an FYI, I'd hate to see you spend all the time flushing the brake fluid just to also find out that you should use some new brake hoses.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
you need to check your rubber hoses. If the hoses are old, or get too hot, they can expand. If they expand, then you're foot pressure on the brake pedal will just cause the fluid to push out on the tubes.

just an FYI, I'd hate to see you spend all the time flushing the brake fluid just to also find out that you should use some new brake hoses.
That problem won't come on all of a sudden. Stainless lines will make it feel stiffer but if the pedal goes to the floor it's the fluid.

I have stainless lines and I use Amsoil's DOT3 500 since it's compatible with my abs and ebd brake system (DOT4 has slightly more corrosive properties and DOT5 does not absorb water, which can cause internal rust or the water can boil and cause air in the lines). Amsoil is rated at 525 degrees dry and 313 wet: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf3.aspx Their dot4 is 580 and 410. Dot 5.1 fluids are just badass dot4 fluids but if you stick with what your car was specd for you won't risk eating seals or messing up expensive abs parts.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid recommendation