Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

boosting b18a ASAP

Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbodreemz has disabled reputation
Default boosting b18a ASAP

just sold my b16 swap (got more money than i paid for. +1 for me) anyway i m back to my b18a with 200,000 miles on it. Im taking out a loan to have the motor built to hold up. what are you guys suggestions on what to do and how much is going to run me. I already have most of the turbo parts that i need (exept piping and intank pump). what do i need to do guys
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: boosting b18a ASAP

Originally Posted by turbodreemz
just sold my b16 swap (got more money than i paid for. +1 for me) anyway i m back to my b18a with 200,000 miles on it. Im taking out a loan to have the motor built to hold up. what are you guys suggestions on what to do and how much is going to run me. I already have most of the turbo parts that i need (exept piping and intank pump). what do i need to do guys
Honestly:

Carry it to a professional shop. Give them the specifications for your turbo, ask them for a reasonable power expectation, and allow them to put in the parts they feel are necessary to achieve said power goal safely.

But....that's my opinion. If you're somewhat knowledgeable, and know enough to assemble a motor properly yourself, then have the work necessary done at a local machine shop, that can be. Be resourceful, and find shops that can do what you can't have done locally. Then put it together.....
Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

yea that seems to be best. I have already gotten a hit from hybrid garage. seems to be pretty good deal. may end up going with that. any shops in richmond that are reliable and can set me up with ideas and estimated cost?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

my opinion.......take the money back to the bank....eliminate the loan, save up for the build....whats really gonna suck is if you have a loan out, build the motor, than blow it up. paying for something that just blew up really sucks. its just my experience its a whole lot easier to play it through in your head how much money youve spent on your car when you dont have to make a monthly payment on it. pay for it in cash. than boost away...

if you dont want to listen to that, than...buy good parts, if youve never put a motor together before, let someone else knowledgeable do it. do it properly without shortcuts, find a good tuner, research everything. ask people, talk to people, start more threads like this, good job on starting a thread to get feedback.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 AM

that my friend is a why I posted here. to get all the info I can. I will be going with a reliable shop and the best parts i can get. I have seen to many people blow their shit up on bogus knockoff parts. I cant afford to build then boom.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i agree with ya.

whats your budget man ?.how diesel are you trying to make this motor ?. how much power are you trying to make ?.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

Dont forget about adding a good engine management system to that price.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM

honestly all im really looking for is 230 to 250 whp. im not into tracking or really even racing. i just like driving spiritedly and have driven some cars that put about that down and i was very satisfied. I plan on getting engine management just not sure yet. my budgets around 3k. Ive spoken to a guy from hybrid and it sounds pretty reasonable. I alread have most of the turbo kit together.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

if you already have most of the turbo kit together than you shouldnt have a problem staying under budget, if your looking to make 230 you will have no problem. i was making 260 on my stock ls on an s-afc, i was running 12lbs and it lasted two years and was still running strong when i took the turbo kit off. (tuned by shad on a dyno jet)

if i were you, this is what i would do

-forged pistons, i personally wouldnt even worry about rods if my goal was 230-250 cause the main weakness in stock honda motors lies in the pistons. if you can squeeze rods in there for budget than by all means, DO IT but in my experience its not absolutely needed.ive never spun a rod bearing, bent a rod or anything that had to do with rods, always was a cracked ring land or a crack cylinder wall(that happened like 6 years ago when i first turboed the car and was boosting like crazy without being tuned), but if you do plan on revving the motor significanlty higher your gonna want to invest in some rods

-550+ injectors,255 fuel pump with crome to keep costs down,great thing is NO FMU, crome is a good well used and supported system, had it on my boosted gsr civic and worked flawlessly, never had a single problem with it and it was very cheap unlike hondata, ecu chipping is cheap and lots of shops do it and theyll usually do it for a discounted price if you have them tune it.

-hondata intake manifold gasket-AN ABSOLUTE MUST. that gasket cuts heat to the intake manifold by like 85%. its awesome.

-depending on what type of bearings and gaskets you use will kinda determine the rest of what you can do with your money, oem honda bearings and gasket kits are alot more expensive than aftermarket items. i personally like oem honda stuff better myself. if you can, an upgraded valvetrain and cams will definitely help throw some more umph into that motor. the right aftermarket cams make such a huge difference over stock ls cams its ridiculous. an not to mention ls valve springs and retainers will start to float when revving past like 7800 so if you upgrade your valvetrain you should be able to rev higher more safely, if you combine that with the rods and the cams you should be making power in the higher rpm range to justify going past the 7800-8k mark. a port and polish is probably out of the question cause that will take up alot of your budget.

-of course a good streetable clutch is going to be needed.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 10-07-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
-forged pistons, i personally wouldnt even worry about rods if my goal was 230-250 cause the main weakness in stock honda motors lies in the pistons. if you can squeeze rods in there for budget than by all means, DO IT but in my experience its not absolutely needed.ive never spun a rod bearing, bent a rod or anything that had to do with rods, always was a cracked ring land or a crack cylinder wall(that happened like 6 years ago when i first turboed the car and was boosting like crazy without being tuned), but if you do plan on revving the motor significanlty higher your gonna want to invest in some rods
i will have to disagree with this information. the rods are the weakest point. cracked sleeves and destroyed ringlands are caused by lack of a "good" tune (or lack of one completely).

Quick Reply: boosting b18a ASAP