Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Boost Gauge Instation Issues

Old 01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
markell27 has disabled reputation
Default Boost Gauge Instation Issues

In my attempt to install a boost gauge on my 95 240sx I'm left a little stumped.

First, I bought a Garrett mechanical boost gauge that has three wires (orange - illumination; red - 12v; black - ground). Pretty straight forward and used the cigarette lighter for all wires. What I found was gauge light is always on when ignition is on. So what is the point of the illumination wire? Hell, I disconnected the orange wire and gauge remained lit. I figured it would come on with the headlights since I was using a dimmer/illumination connection. Is this just because its a LED gauge?

Second, I got some professional advise for the t-fitting location that I could tap into the existing boost controller vacuum hose. Therefore, I added the t-fitting under the dash near the steering column. Now both the controller and gauge shows only vacuum (doesn't go above zero). I'm sure the simplest answer is a boost leak. I've checked my work on this one line and no issues. So my question is: Could this be an issue of having one hose tapped for a boost controller and boost gauge that also includes an in-line filter?

This shouldn't be so hard, but I appreciate your help.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous
Default Re: Boost Gauge Instation Issues

Contact Jay on here. He did mine and it works great
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

i dont think jay could instate something...he may be able to install it...
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by nftuatn
i dont think jay could instate something...he may be able to install it...
He is pretty much magical
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

what vacuum hoses are you using? make sure to not use the cheap silicone like ones from APC.

what gauge are you using? sounds like prosport gauges
Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar Slomar

Sounds like you wired it up to the 12 volts that the cigarette lighter gets when the ignition is on and not the 12 volts that power the illumination. Use a multi-meter and test the wires with your lights off and then with them on to find the right one. Not too sure about the boost controller issue, but i would switch it back to how it was when it worked, and hook your boost gauge up to its own vacuum source.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Originally Posted by markell27
So what is the point of the illumination wire? Hell, I disconnected the orange wire and gauge remained lit. I figured it would come on with the headlights since I was using a dimmer/illumination connection.
Dims with +12V ILL most likely.
+12V Switched, +12V ILL, and Ground can all be easily found in the Stereo harness.
T your gauge's vac line into the FPR vac line.

Good day sir.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Usually the 12V wire is used to power the backlight that lights the gauge face, and the illumination wire is used to sense the dash illumination to dim the backlight. Basically one is a power wire and one is a voltage sense wire.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jay
Dims with +12V ILL most likely.
+12V Switched, +12V ILL, and Ground can all be easily found in the Stereo harness.
T your gauge's vac line into the FPR vac line.

Good day sir.
Without a multimeter I used a test light to see what wire went hot when the headlights were turned on and what wire went hot when the ignition was turned on. I tried two power wires (radio - blue and cigarette lighter - orange). Again gauge light comes on as soon as ignition is on, but don't these gauge lights work off the illumination wire for the light to come on?

T-fitting for boost controller is connected to hose between intake manifold and fpr. It worked fine before all this.

The gauge hose is that piece of crap clear plastic stuff.

The gauge is made by Garrett. I think it's the only one they make.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Usually the 12V wire is used to power the backlight that lights the gauge face, and the illumination wire is used to sense the dash illumination to dim the backlight. Basically one is a power wire and one is a voltage sense wire.
Thank you! So I'm not retarded...

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge Instation Issues