Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

blown cat. need advice

Old 05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Slky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slky has disabled reputation
Default blown cat. need advice

Well, my ride is almost ready. We dyno'ed 420. Problem: we were having trouble getting over 7lbs boost and 250 hp. Turned out we had demolished the catalytic converter which in turn tore up the muffler. I replaced the muffler, but right now I am running a straight pipe. (Yes, that's bassakward. Va. inspect. requires a cat. but not a muffler, and, yes, it's inspected.) My question is what should I get for a cat.? The last one was supposed to be a "low restricted" thing, but it looks OEM. I have heard of a "racing cat" but can't find any product info. All help appreciated.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum
Default Re: blown cat. need advice

you can get racing cats all over.. google it.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Ford Man Now.....

1cleanEM100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a high flow cat... check this site out,..... best cats ever,.....

http://estores.merchantpartners.com/...roducts_id=104
Old 05-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

a high flow cat is a bullshit marketing ad. they are the same fucking things as the OE cats. the racing cats are usually just a piece of 2.5" pipe with teh heat shields welded on. just replace it with a straight pipe with flanges (NOT WELDED INTO THE EXHAUST) and leave it like that. city inspectors never check that shit.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Slky

Thanks for help. All bear looking into.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Slky

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
a high flow cat is a bullshit marketing ad. they are the same fucking things as the OE cats. the racing cats are usually just a piece of 2.5" pipe with teh heat shields welded on. just replace it with a straight pipe with flanges (NOT WELDED INTO THE EXHAUST) and leave it like that. city inspectors never check that shit.
This is interesting. A fake cat. Well, all my other emission cotrols are kaput, and the cat does nothing on my car, so why not? Right now I have a straight pipe. All "racing cat." references talk about reduced restrictions, but that would be viz.a viz., an oem cat. They can't beat a straight pipe, in restriction reduction. My EGR is already gone, as is my carbon cannister. My MIL light is on anyway. My PCV still works, but it does not relate to the cat. I use an SDS stand alone eng. mgmnt, which runs open loop and is not feedback adjusted. My O2 sensor is used to feed a wide band air/fuel meter and data logger, but the cat. doesn't play any part in that either. So this does hold a reasonable alternative. Must think, and tear up my old cat to make a cover. Heh.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Go to an exhaust shop and see if they'll knock the heat sheilds off an old beat ass cat for ya. they usually hold onto shot cats for a few days because they can resell them to guys who recycle them or sell them to companies who reuse whats left of them. Then whoever installs your test pipe or whatever, just have them tack weld the shields on so it looks stock at first glance over.