Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Block Guard

Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K24delsol has disabled reputation
Default Block Guard

I am currently building a K24A Del sol, I am curious about block guards? wat are there main purpose and are they needed for high power motors? im sorry if this is a dumb question but this is my first build and im taking my time with and making sure everything is done right, i dont want finish the motor and then find out i need it
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

brandon.beene can only hope to improve
Default Re: Block Guard

It depends on who you ask what they say about block guards. I would stear away from a block guard, for 1 it limits cooling capibilitys and improper installation causes your walls to become distorted. it happens all the freaking time, But if you decide to get it done. Make sure you go to a machine shop and have them do it for you
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There aren't many downsides if done properly. Some of the block guards limit cooling depending on their design. A good install usually involves welding the block guard in place on the block followed decking the block and then boring the sleeves to make everything nice and round again. I'd really shy away from the "tap in place and put the head back on" types, because the results can be scary. Basically a block guard should just turn an open deck block into a closed or semi-closed deck block, without affecting anything else.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

If you are thinking about making alot of power just do yourself a favor and get it sleeved. If you plan on just minor upgrades then keep it stock cause block guards create too many problems.

Even when done correct. Its not worth it

Last edited by brandon.beene; 06-23-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

K24delsol has disabled reputation

ya i looking at sleeves not to sure about that whole process myself by im looking into it
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95

Originally Posted by brandon.beene
It depends on who you ask what they say about block guards. I would stear away from a block guard, for 1 it limits cooling capibilitys and improper installation causes your walls to become distorted. it happens all the freaking time, But if you decide to get it done. Make sure you go to a machine shop and have them do it for you
I agree with Brandon on this one.

OP, how much power are you trying to make?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There aren't many downsides if done properly. Some of the block guards limit cooling depending on their design. A good install usually involves welding the block guard in place on the block followed decking the block and then boring the sleeves to make everything nice and round again. I'd really shy away from the "tap in place and put the head back on" types, because the results can be scary. Basically a block guard should just turn an open deck block into a closed or semi-closed deck block, without affecting anything else.
I brought a block to Abacus just to see how bad it truely does it when done improperly.
Chuck and Seth said, 'Your paper weight is ready.' Block was free and I thought I'd see.

Get a block, get a machinist to put in, bore cylinder walls, roll out.
Myself swear by them.

I also swear by o-ring blocks but thats another story..
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

All a block guard does is keep you from getting "cylinder walk" at high RPM and half the time if ur going to be running that much power where u have to worry about cylinder walk u need to be running sleeves anyways. but it will egg your walls, give u hot spots, restrict your cooling and so forth. if u plan on running that much power (turbo, supercharger, NOS) then u better just do the smart thing get some sleeves

Block guards will not prevent your walls from cracking under extreme conditions. Only thing they "might" and this is a big might, is prevent your rods from shooting up into the head. When u do blow your motor. Stock sleeves can handle a lot, so unless you plan on running a lot of boost or whatever then don't even worry about it. Good luck with the build.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

When is PSI relevant to power levels?

Budgets are budgets.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jarrod
When is PSI relevant to power levels?

Budgets are budgets.
im just saying that he dont need them. Stock sleeves hold up just fine without a block guard, Ive seen a few 500whp cars on stock sleeves.

Quick Reply: Block Guard