Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Best sealing piston rings (Turbo GSR)

Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default Best sealing piston rings (Turbo GSR)

Alright guys,

before I pulled the swap out of my car I was making 386 on 13lbs. The GSR is fully built, JE pistons/Eagle rods and Golden Eagle sleeves. I'm wanting to freshen it up, so I'm not trying to make 500+ whp on weak rings or anything like that. What rings have you guys had good luck with? I've heard some good things about "Total Seal" but I'd like some firsthand experiences.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

hwsurnk
Default Re: Best sealing piston rings (Turbo GSR)

I have always been very happy with Hasting rings!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I spy Psi, no?
Alright guys,

before I pulled the swap out of my car I was making 386 on 13lbs. The GSR is fully built, JE pistons/Eagle rods and Golden Eagle sleeves. I'm wanting to freshen it up, so I'm not trying to make 500+ whp on weak rings or anything like that. What rings have you guys had good luck with? I've heard some good things about "Total Seal" but I'd like some firsthand experiences.
Ring seal is a bit tricky. Sealing for combustion can be achieved at about a 96% efficiency by almost any modern moly coated top ring. Trying to get better than that would basically require a gapless top ring and gas ported pistons, but that doesn't really seal at idle..... Gas porting the piston can enhance sealing of a regular ring, however.....

If you're worried about oil control, you're talking about a whole different ball game. A Hastings style ring or "flex-vent" design, which is used by MANY manufacturers today, is much more efficient at cleaning the oil off the bore. This means it requires less tension to do the job correctly. That means better power, and better fuel economy. Even so, too little tension, and even they won't seal well enough. Old-school rings of the SSU50 style are held onto.... well, actually, I'm not sure why they still make them. They may be structurally stronger actually, for things like Nitro Methane......But they require a lot of tension to scrape down the walls, which leads to poor fuel economy, poor power characteristics, and less efficient sealing than flex-vents.... Hence why they aren't used in modern cars......
Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

^
Thanks for all of that.

What are you other High HP/TQ honda guys using in your setups?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

From what I've seen, whenever HR posts, it's accurate and typically answers any questions that an OP has or could have. Rarely do I reply in a post that he's posted in, though because you asked.

Hastings with a DLC coating is typically what you'll find in my personal builds where ring replacement is necessary (in accordance with my anal retentiveness) or desired. New builds, I'll tend to stick with CP and their rings are quality. (same holds true for JE)

Now, to spend the extra money on Total Seal's, I wouldn't bother.

What prompted me to reply though, was the Eagle rods and 500whp goal. I don't particularly care for Eagle Rods, due to their inconsistencies (weight, small bore and its bushing, big bore, machining all around for that matter). Get yourself some Manley H-Beams, Pauters, Cunninghams, etc.

Now, I'm sure to attract some Eagle nut swingers with my above comment, they'll go on to say they've made wonderful amounts of "power" with them, etc, etc. My point, they are hit or miss. I've lost count of the number of spun rod bearings due to inconsistent big bore sizing and/or their design period. Another product that so many choose not to use in their builds (they'll do only whats necessary to make the power but then nothing to prolong that build) is a damper which significantly reduces the harmonics (i.e. tiny but deadly vibrations) by companies such as ATI or Fluidampr. Some feel this is a luxary item, though whenever you make a change to the rotating assembly, the stock pulley is no longer affective or "tuned" to the engine. Granted, a balancing should be conducted on the entire rotating assembly upon build, though harmonics can still exist, especially when you begin making a notable amount of power (500+).
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Slammedxpert

You know, I am glad you mentioned the dampner. I have purchased an ATI Damper. I appreciate your insight on the rings as well!

I can't wait to start tearing this thing back apart and putting it back together, hoping for 5!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

mike buy some nippon rings, they are fairly inexpensive and work great, pete is using them on his turbo gsr and i have them on my all motor and they work great
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 AM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Total Seal is shit.. I had em on my JE piston & had em shatter the ring.. What they do is cut a groove in the compression ring which weakens it & they insert an oil ring in the groove for that "total seal".

I will run nothing other then JE Pro Seals with my JE 8.8:1's now.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Total Seal is shit.. I had em on my JE piston & had em shatter the ring.. What they do is cut a groove in the compression ring which weakens it & they insert an oil ring in the groove for that "total seal".

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
mike buy some nippon rings, they are fairly inexpensive and work great, pete is using them on his turbo gsr and i have them on my all motor and they work great
Originally Posted by 924drsleeper

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to get JE piston rings. I've been doing a little bit of "google" research today at work. I'll let you guys know what I go with.

Quick Reply: Best sealing piston rings (Turbo GSR)