Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Best O2 bung plugs?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:53 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Best O2 bung plugs?

I often ask for the best of a random part here and get an answer that satifies me. Who makes the best O2 bung plugs? The Innovate plugs have the heads shear off. Whatever plug that is in here now the threads got f'd while the female side of things is fine. Somebody must make a higher quality plug than these constantly seizing soft metals.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Best O2 bung plugs?

Holy shit, how tight are you making those, and are you using any type of washer?

I'm trying to think of who made those really nice stainless plugs that we used at the engines lab..
Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

They don't go on tight, but they sure as heck get tight later. I use copper anti seize. I even tried not using it once just to see.

Oh, and btw, this plug did in fact strip out my threads. I have half of a good thread near the front, that's it.

Any shop closer to me than Ramey that can fix this for me?

Exhaust is stainless, so wouldn't a stainless plug just gall to it?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Try Burns Stainless, Stainless Works, Mandrel Bending Solutions.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by marlinspike
They don't go on tight, but they sure as heck get tight later. I use copper anti seize. I even tried not using it once just to see.

Oh, and btw, this plug did in fact strip out my threads. I have half of a good thread near the front, that's it.

Any shop closer to me than Ramey that can fix this for me?

Exhaust is stainless, so wouldn't a stainless plug just gall to it?
It won't gall with anti-seize, no. Bare stainless to bare stainless will often gall. You should just need the old bung removed and a new bung welded on. It's also a good idea to run a tap through the bung after it's welded on to get rid of any spatter and bung warpage.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
ATGATT

Oh, and this plug I took out doesn't have a washer. Ramey said this kind of plug doesn't use washers.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
ATGATT

Would harm come from driving to VA Beach with nothing to plug the hole? I'm guessing it would overheat the trans as it would be shooting exhaust gasses right at the trans pan.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
ATGATT

This forum should be made so only Fabrik8 and nftuatn can post replies.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Racetracks

Anything with a flange on it (like the head of a bolt) should have a copper washer.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Would harm come from driving to VA Beach with nothing to plug the hole? I'm guessing it would overheat the trans as it would be shooting exhaust gasses right at the trans pan.
If you want, get something flat to cover the hole (or use the existing plug if it will work) and throw a hose clamp over everything to hold it in place.

Oh, maybe try a quarter or nickel. That might work.

Quick Reply: Best O2 bung plugs?