Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Bearings? brake pads? HELP!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06LancerRA has disabled reputation
Unhappy Bearings? brake pads? HELP!

Okay Pro's.

At the beginning of the week I noticed some greasy substance on the inside of my left forward wheel. I didn't think much of it at first because I hadn't had any problems with my car, so I wiped it off. Foolish me.

BUT now. I have these symptoms:

FIRST: occasional "wobbly" feeling on that wheel while driving. most noticeable while Coasting.
only lasting split seconds at times. checked wheel. wheel is secure.

ALSO: Most noticeable symptom is sometimes I will feel like I'm going through a SMALL POT HOLE or something BUT AM NOT.

NO "ABS" light is Lit.

Acceleration doesn't seem to be affected and nothing is felt at freeway speeds.
And handling and response is still fine...

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks for your Time.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt
Default Re: Bearings? brake pads? HELP!

have you jacked your car up and tried to wiggle the wheel left to right and up and down?
what car is it? ball joints? steering rack?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

I have NOT jacked it up yet. That was on list to do this weekend. Or just take it to a shop.

I HAVE had someone look at the wheel while I turned it slowly while moving slowly. they saw/heard nothing. Nothing that would suggest movent that is out of ordinary.

Its an 06 Lancer Ralliart.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

kwint has disabled reputation

If its your wheel bearing, you'll hear a whirring sound while driving, bad axle will give you vibration under load and cruising speeds, and brake rotors will only make the car wobble when braking if they're warped. Also, you could have a seized caliper.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Sparkle Motion

jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539

Id lean more towards a bad CV axle, reason being that the greasy substance that you wipped off could have been some of the grease that was in your CV axle boot, which if torn and all the grease has come out could cause it to go bad. Which would cause syptoms similar to the ones you are experiencing.

This can be checked by when the car is up in the air look for a torn boot, or you dont happen to hear any clicking when you turn do you?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

No there arent any whirring sounds of any kind. If I started to hear things I would definitly start trying to get another way to get around and let it sit till I took it in.

I'm starting to lean towards the CV axel. but I guess I will have to Jack it up to be sure. Any estimates on how bad this will Dent the checkbook? woudl it be a Shop fix or something I could do myself possibly?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

92gsrteg has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 06LancerRA
No there arent any whirring sounds of any kind. If I started to hear things I would definitly start trying to get another way to get around and let it sit till I took it in.

I'm starting to lean towards the CV axel. but I guess I will have to Jack it up to be sure. Any estimates on how bad this will Dent the checkbook? woudl it be a Shop fix or something I could do myself possibly?
if its a axle, it would cost around 150 to 200 at my shop, depending on the price of the axle. if you are experienced you could possibly do it yourself. if ur not the i would recomend takin it to a shop.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

strut? maybe it blew?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1

Originally Posted by jt223539
Id lean more towards a bad CV axle, reason being that the greasy substance that you wipped off could have been some of the grease that was in your CV axle boot, which if torn and all the grease has come out could cause it to go bad. Which would cause syptoms similar to the ones you are experiencing.

This can be checked by when the car is up in the air look for a torn boot, or you dont happen to hear any clicking when you turn do you?
You could just reach around the wheel try to touch the axle , I'm guessing your hand is gonna get goobed up by the grease that was once inside the axle boot.
Good luck.
Dan
Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

UPDATE.

Took car to Pepboys. They said I Blew a shock. I dont know how I did it. but I guess i should stop Jumping my car on the weekends......

said would run about $450+ or somethign to fix it.

I'm so glad i Baught a Warranty for the car wont cost me anything!!!

thanks for all the input!!