Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Battery Tender question

Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Battery Tender question

I'm looking at buying one to use between my Camaro and my motorcycle, until the bike sells, then it will just be for the camaro. Both batteries are 12v. I have browsed their web site, and sent them an email with the question, but so far no response.

To the best of my understanding, The difference between the BT Plus and BT Jr. is the amperage. 1.25 for the plus, and .75 for the Jr. These will both do the job of charging the motorcycle and the car, correct? The only thing different is the .75 will take longer to charge than the 1.25, correct?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Battery Tender question

I'd recommend getting a microprocessor controlled one that can handle Optima batteries as well as auto/motorcycle ones. This model is the one I use for charging everything (car, camper, Optima, gel-cell, tractor, etc). Trickle charge, rapid charge, and start. $80 at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-micropr...p-02871225000P
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM
armed teetotaler

Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz

I don't know about other units but I've got one of these and it does a damn good job of charging car and bike batteries.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd
I'd recommend getting a microprocessor controlled one that can handle Optima batteries as well as auto/motorcycle ones. This model is the one I use for charging everything (car, camper, Optima, gel-cell, tractor, etc). Trickle charge, rapid charge, and start. $80 at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-micropr...p-02871225000P
That one looks nice. My understanding is the Battery Tenders are microprocessor controlled? I'm also wanting something to maintain the battery, not just charge it and be done. The one you listed may do it, I just skimmed and didn't see.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM
GLHF

Originally Posted by Schlitz
I don't know about other units but I've got one of these and it does a damn good job of charging car and bike batteries.

Can you give me a link for some info?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by WutupYo
That one looks nice. My understanding is the Battery Tenders are microprocessor controlled? I'm also wanting something to maintain the battery, not just charge it and be done. The one you listed may do it, I just skimmed and didn't see.
the one i posted does do maintenance thing, too. the microprocessor adjusts the voltage so that it does not overcharge and shuts off the charging once it reaches full capacity.

personally, i just connect a trickle charger every few months to my spare batteries and start up vehicles at least once a month to keep them lubricated with oil.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM
GLHF

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd
the one i posted does do maintenance thing, too. the microprocessor adjusts the voltage so that it does not overcharge and shuts off the charging once it reaches full capacity.

personally, i just connect a trickle charger every few months to my spare batteries and start up vehicles at least once a month to keep them lubricated with oil.
I try to do the same, but I had my last battery go out on me after not starting the car after 2.5-3 weeks, just looking for something to mantain it a bit better. same goes for the motorcycle battery too. They also don't get driven enough as of late either so they don't get a nice charge when they're out
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
armed teetotaler

Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz Schlitz

Originally Posted by WutupYo
Can you give me a link for some info?
Batteries Plus has these all day. Google can find you a dozen other places that have it. It's more of a straight forward charger than a trickle. I put it on my bike a couple hours a week during the colder months because cold starts at 6am murder my battery.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If all you need is a trickle charger for maintanance during storage, either BT charger will work fine. The charging amperage is the sustained current that the charger can put out. If the battery voltage is past a certain level, the charge current will be much lower than that. So assuming that the battery is pretty well charged when you put the trickle charger on it, you would only need the smaller one. If some top-off charge is needed, the smaller one will just take longer than the larger one. That really won't matter though if the vehicles are in storage, because you have lots of time.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

I've got these two tenders that I use....1 for the Camaro that stays inside and the other for the Camaro that stays outside....they have worked great!

This is the one I use outside.

This is the one I use inside.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender question