Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ball Joint and axle removal and replacement.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JustinK has disabled reputation
Default Ball Joint and axle removal and replacement.

Well I'll start by saying I have a 1991 honda crx HF bone stock... Few days ago I went over the railroad crossing just a mile away from my house and the ball joint broke (lower) drivers side, common wheel laying side ways and front of the car slamming to the ground... Well I've managed to get it down to just the broken items taken off I can't seem to get the ball joint out of the knuckle I do however have a ball joint press I am currently low on funding and what not so I'm trying to get this out with the least needing to be replaced, When the ball joint broke it also snapped the axle at the boot end towards the transmission. So I also have a small portion of the axle inside of the transmission. I need some solutions on ways to remove both of these with minimal damage to anything... I was thinking possibly weld pulling the axles could this be done without transmission damage?

If I've missed any needed information please let me know it's stressing me out a bit so my train of thought is horrible at the moment...
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Registered member

SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC

Inb4 shit storm, did you search here and GOOGLE? As for the axel in the tranny isnt there pin thru it or maybe im thinking of something else. Google has 99% of answers, not tryin to be a dick but thats what everyone who posts here is going to say
Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Default Re: Ball Joint and axle removal and replacement.

Searched around on google for most of about 4 hours tried multiple different methods including torching it and baking the whole damn thing. and no the cotter pin is on the ball joint not a axle, axle just kind of slides right into the tranny with a snap ring, mostly just curious if i can just welder pull the damned things out without destroying the undamaged parts... lol
Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Ball joint- remove knuckle from vehicle. Hold a wrench in your hand-with the open end in your hand, put the box end around the threads on the ball joint. With other hand, get BFH and hit the end of the ball joint stud. It should pop out with minimal effort.
Axle- get a pry bar in between the axle and the tranny. Pry. Last resort- use a piece of pipe or something similar and try knocking the axle out from the opposite direction.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1567042
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Job is complete, I thank you all. Took alot longer than it should have but done an rolling again all that matters I guess.