Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B20Z then b20/vtec or fix b16a?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond repute
Question B20Z then b20/vtec or fix b16a?

Im rolling this idea over in my head... because my b16a in my 90 crx si is only running on 3 cylinders an did compression check this weekend its leaking compression out of that cylinder the number 1 so im told it could be many things valves compression ring. piston or piston ring .... so my friend offered me a good deal on a b20 said he'd drop it in just to help me out feels bad ive been running 3 cylinders for 5 months he said i would love it and it would kick ass in my car with the full exhaust and the type R intake manifold with the b16 tranny an stage two clutch lightened flywheel ... an i could sell the b16 block an fix the b16 head while running the b20 setup for now then do b20/vtec which i like the idea of but i keep reading all kinds of bullshit online about how the ls/vtec is better/more reliable than the b20/vtec .... so i dont want to get myself into a build that isnt as fruitful as the other so please any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of
Default Re: B20Z then b20/vtec or fix b16a?

ok well first....there is a really easy way to tell if your compression test is coming up bad due to the rings or the valve guides...pm me if you want to know more on that subject....but as far as the b20b or b20z being unreliable....thats just misconstrued....they are a grerat motor and of course with all things..tuning and build is key....
Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 AM
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would go and get the crank balanced on the B20 so you can spin up your rpms. you might want to clay that piston to head clearance because the B20Z have high compession compared to the B20Bs. or you can get a thicker head gasket to clear that part. i really dont know much about the swap but i know that they are great.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 AM
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

ls and b20 are the same. only difference is the bore.