Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B20/vtec conversion

Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vablockboii has disabled reputation
Question B20/vtec conversion

I'm in the works of doing a vtec conversion on my b20. I'm getting a b16 head. The vtec golden eagle conversion kit to fit the b20. The problem is that I'm stuck on what ecu to use, and the head gasket. and another thing the b20 is in my auto integra ls special edition, is this going to matter or not. Some one help me please
Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Its a Man part.

8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B20/vtec conversion

Yes you being auto is a problem because you have to run a auto ecu... You would need a dohc vtec ecu thats for a auto..... only problem is I dont think a auto b16 ecu (only auto dohc vtec ecu I know of) would make you b20 vtec run well at all.... Im also not sure how a tune would work on a auto ecu.... but im SURE it can be done... infact I have a jdm auto b16 ecu.. let me know on that one.

To answer your other questions Id go with hondata head gasket for your build.

On a side not id love to see how a auto b20 vtec would perform.... GL with your build.

Edit: You maybe able to convert a 5-speed ecu to work.. but im not sure

Last edited by 8====D; 03-18-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You'll need an auto ECU. You can use an auto P28 from an SOHC, which is exactly the same ECU as a P30 (DOHC) but the P28 lacks a knock sensor board. They're identical internally other than that, so the only difference is the factory tune. You won't have a knock sensor, so that doesn't matter.

You can't easily convert a manual tranny ECU to an auto without adding all of the transmission lockup solenoid parts, and that's more trouble than it's worth with the amount of auto tranny P28s around. You'll have to get the ECU chipped, but tuning won't be any different from an engine with a manual tranny unless you need to change some of the transmission parameters. Most of the software doesn't support tuning any of the transmission parameters, so you'll have to stick to the stock stuff and just do engine tuning..

So, don't get a DOHC ECU, they're harder to find and you won't use the knock sensor board, which makes a SOHC ECU the perfect choice.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

hhhmmmm.... I've never hear of a Hondata headgasket... why not use the headgasket that came with the GE kit?
.... yup, I was gonna say.. just get a P28 Auto. What year is your LS anyway?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

95 LS Special Edition
Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

if your going to go thru the trouble of making the car b20vtec why not just convert it while your there? i would never tell someone to do an AUTO frankenstein swap, it just seems pointless to me
Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 8====D
Yes you being auto is a problem because you have to run a auto ecu... You would need a dohc vtec ecu thats for a auto..... only problem is I dont think a auto b16 ecu (only auto dohc vtec ecu I know of) would make you b20 vtec run well at all.... Im also not sure how a tune would work on a auto ecu.... but im SURE it can be done... infact I have a jdm auto b16 ecu.. let me know on that one.

To answer your other questions Id go with hondata head gasket for your build.

On a side not id love to see how a auto b20 vtec would perform.... GL with your build.

Edit: You maybe able to convert a 5-speed ecu to work.. but im not sure
If I had it my way the I wouldn't have bought the terd auto and just bought an 5 speed car, but with my g/f preg and a baby due in aug. I needed something. And besides b20 is going in a 5 speed later down the road, just don't tell my old lady that.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Its a Man part.

8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute

Lol I guess I was way off on this thread... I thought hondata did make head gaskets... my bad.. anyways gl with the build
Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

They sell heat isolation spacers for intake manifolds, but that's about it.