Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B20 swap

Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrett has disabled reputation
Default B20 swap

Hey im looking at buying a 1999 honda civic but it has the b20 swap and the guy that did it didnt put ac compressor or drier back on the car also he didnt put the power steering pump on the car what all do i have to do in order to put the ac and power steering back on the car?
Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: B20 swap

You can use a P54 A/C bracket and use a D-Series Civic compressor,or an Integra A/C mount and use a B-series compressor.You'll need a brand new drier,and I'd replace the expansion valve while you're doing it.My main concern would be the system being open to contamination unless they sealed the open connections as soon as they opened the system up.Assuming the system isn't contaminated,after hooking all the components back up you'll need to pull it down with a vacuum pump and refill with refrigerant.Really,you need a factory shop manual for all the specs on how much lubricant and refrigerant to add.

For power steering you can use brackets and a pump from a 94-01 Integra.There are several combinations of brackets and pumps that will directly connect to the Civic high pressure line.You'll probably need to measure for what size belt you'll need,as the various B20s have different diameter crank pulleys and the various Integra P/S pumps have different diameter pulleys as well.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

If you need power steering, you must have lips between your legs. Get a manual steering rack.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by PicovAndropov
If you need power steering, you must have lips between your legs. Get a manual steering rack.
This.
Or,drain and plug the rack so you'll retain the quicker ratio over the manual rack.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:13 AM
Peepee

Poopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by TNGChris
This.
Or,drain and plug the rack so you'll retain the quicker ratio over the manual rack.
Was just going to say the P/S rack is better because it's a turn and a half shorter. Also if you're tracking a car, you will want to have P/S most likely. Fatigue can set in quickly and ruin lap times.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Poopoo
Also if you're tracking a car, you will want to have P/S most likely. Fatigue can set in quickly and ruin lap times.
For most cars I'd agree with that,but even a depowered power rack in these cars feels very light once you're moving.Having functioning P/S on an EG/EK almost feels too light,and you lose some amount of feeling too.A manual/depowered rack has perfect weighting and the amount of feedback you get is amazing(In my opinion).
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

These are all opinions: my opinion is to put it on if there's a power steering gear in the car because no fluid in the gear will cause internal problems down the road... I know a lot of people do it and I myself have done it but it will cause problems.

Or do like they said and put a manual gear in.

For the brackets, you can use any b series lower bracket and an LS upper along with a GS-R pump because it has the right size pressure outlet and will bolt to the brackets. You can also use a b20 bracket. (No matter what anyone says it will bolt up, clear everything, and work... Proof is that it's in mine right now along with functioning AC.)

You can use the stock D series pump or the B20 pump, either will work with the b20 bracket. They bolt up and tension fine... again I have proof in my car.

You will use the stock hoses, pipes, and resivoir. The only thing you have to do is get 7/16 power steering hoses and lengthen the hose section that comes from the return pipe to the resivoir.

Use the B20 belt unless you have a different crank pulley. The b20 crank pulley is a different size than others.

As for the AC, I would suggest the P7J bracket. I think it's from like a 97 crv. It will allow you to use all the stock components
from the 99 civic (including the compressor) and use the b20 belt if the crank pulley is stock.

I wouldn't change the TXV unless the old compressor grendaded or the lines on the firewall were disconnected for a long period of time. Definetly change the drier though. They take as little as 2 minutes to become fully saturated with lines disconnected.