Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B18c1 Bogging At Low RPMs

Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
13.5:1 Poor Mans R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kana has disabled reputation
Default B18c1 Bogging At Low RPMs

Well for starters, the car is a 1993 Civic EX. Motor is a USDM GSR motor. All internals are stock, just has bolt-ons.

Motor break down:

B18c1
Skunk2 intake manifold
Skunk2 70mm throttle body
Hondata Intake manifold gasket
PLM header
Stock Civic exhaust
Stock p28 ECU

I put the swap in about 4 months ago and everything was running perfect. Even on a stock p28. The problem started to happen about 3 weeks ago and is getting worse. I can be cruising in any gear and give it gas and the car will go slower. Starts missing and bogging down. If I push the pedal down motor to power through it, it will sputter and eventually get over the hiccup. Also when it does this little missing/bogging, I can push in the clutch and rev it and it will rev fine, til I put it back under load.

Here is what I've done so far:

Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Cap
Rotor
Dizzy
MAP sensor
Check the range reading on the TPS
Checked timing

I'm am at a loss. The best thing of all, NO CELs!

Please either post on here or text my cell with any answers or questions!

757-604-5620

Sean
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: B18c1 Bogging At Low RPMs

In my experience, most of the time when I encountered a bog under load, it was from loss of ignition(usually plugs or wires)

Coil usually goes all at once, and you said you switched the dizzy, are you still running the stock p28?

Not to say a p28 can't run a gsr fine enough, but there is a difference in fuel/ignition maps. I wouldn't expect a change over time, but I'd suggest getting a proper tune on it then see how it goes. I'd assume its mechanical, but if there's an improper tune, makes it that much harder to diagnose the issue specifically. Plus you already changed the 1st two things I would've done.

I have a socketed P28 I don't need, just need a chip, I can put a basemap on it and make sure the tune is good if you want, just hit up your roomy lol

Also check the dizzy timing since I'm sure you've messed with it, you run 93 on a stock ecu so you can't hurt anything, but advancing it might clear up that bog/lack of throttle response. I forget where we had it set previously.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
In my experience, most of the time when I encountered a bog under load, it was from loss of ignition(usually plugs or wires)

Coil usually goes all at once, and you said you switched the dizzy, are you still running the stock p28?

Not to say a p28 can't run a gsr fine enough, but there is a difference in fuel/ignition maps. I wouldn't expect a change over time, but I'd suggest getting a proper tune on it then see how it goes. I'd assume its mechanical, but if there's an improper tune, makes it that much harder to diagnose the issue specifically. Plus you already changed the 1st two things I would've done.

I have a socketed P28 I don't need, just need a chip, I can put a basemap on it and make sure the tune is good if you want, just hit up your roomy lol

Also check the dizzy timing since I'm sure you've messed with it, you run 93 on a stock ecu so you can't hurt anything, but advancing it might clear up that bog/lack of throttle response. I forget where we had it set previously.
It just boggles my mind that it ran perfect for 3+ months and now something has shit out and I have no idea what else it could be.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It does learn fuel trims over time, but that is not likely the issue. It sounds like an O2 sensor. It doesn't sound consistant enough to be an ignition problem.

You really should get the proper tune for that engine though, because the wrong tune is only going to make you chase your tail when you're trying to troubleshoot.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered member

Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now!

I've had the same issue. Is it usually after you have been driving it for extended periods of time? Like driving on the interstate for 20-30 minutes?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It does learn fuel trims over time, but that is not likely the issue. It sounds like an O2 sensor. It doesn't sound consistant enough to be an ignition problem.

You really should get the proper tune for that engine though, because the wrong tune is only going to make you chase your tail when you're trying to troubleshoot.
I have programmed ECU for it but it runs better on the stock p28 than my tuned p72
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by Kana
I have programmed ECU for it but it runs better on the stock p28 than my tuned p72
Then your tune probably sucks
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

Maybe a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

I would put my money on fuel problems, either too lean or too rich. I would have to have the car in front of me to make a full diagnostic, but from what you are saying to me sounds like there is no bang coming from your spark (granted you have that in the first place).