Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B18A1 into '92 Civic 4dr, no crank

Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default B18A1 into '92 Civic 4dr, no crank

Okay, I took this engine out of a '95 Integra LS (yes, this engine is a B18A1) and it ran fine, started fine etc. Took the engine out of the car, loaded it into my truck and then installed it into it's new home ('92 Civic LX). The engine has an OBD1 harness on it and I used the harness that was already plugged into the engine (removed Integra charging harness because the Civic's charging harness was part of the body harness/not removable).

Here's the kicker, engine's all hooked up and the supply wire going to the starter from the battery is definitely hot (I kinda melted a bit of the starter housing when the starter wire rotated as I tightened the nut and touched the starter housing) and I can definitely hear the starter relay clicking under the dash. I have NOT checked the signal wire to see if there's voltage. If there is I'm pretty sure it needs a new starter.

My problem is that if, when I check it, there's no voltage at the signal wire...what do I check if the relay is clicking?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: B18A1 into '92 Civic 4dr, no crank

If the relay clicks and the relay has no voltage at its output, I would suspect that the relay input doesn't have any voltage either.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

The starter relay, is it integral on the main relay or is it separate?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

What's confusing me the most is that nothing's changed on the chassis harness and the engine harness on the motor is unchanged from when we removed it from the integra. The civic ran just fine, started just fine etc. before I removed it's engine. When you turn the key to on you can hear the fuel pump priming the fuel system.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

94HatchLS has disabled reputation

i had same problem in my hatch two weeks ago, its probably a bad ground. thats what my issue was.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Which one though? I have good contact on the one on the valve cover, the one on the thermostat housing and the on on the transmission.