Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B16 Block Help

Old 11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Ammo Pusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh
Default B16 Block Help

Hello everyone
As of now im soon to buy a pistons/rod combo for my b16
the b16 has been bored and honed to 81.5
I plan on goin n/a with it
not tryin to get too much power out of it but enough to be reliable(daily driver) and quick

i have a few routes to go w/ brands and such

1.Cheap/OEM way
-Honda OEM b16b/b18c5 oversized pistons(dont know which ones are better want highest comp possible) w/ shot peened stock b16 rods

2. Aftermarket
-JE/Arias way rods/piston combo

Just wanted to know what would be the most realistic/better way of going with this.
im leaning to the OEM way because the parts are cheaper and im not going to be boosting 30psi but still have OEM quality

Also wanted to know what ur input on this is(experience, your way, diff route)

And how much does getting shot peened rod usually cost around here?

The head is either going to be a GSR/B16 almost fully built internally

Thanks for the help

Frankie
Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 PM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1
Default Re: B16 Block Help

get a 1.8L crank

gonna be disappointed with the 1.6
Old 11-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Ammo Pusher

F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh

what crank will fit? does it have to be a b18c crank gsr/type r or will an ls fit?

and what crank/rod combo would go together if its a diff stroke/size?

will this matter?

Last edited by F4Fresh; 11-02-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest using an LS grank. Has the longest stroke. CTR pistons have the highest CR for OEM pistons. However you compression is going to be pretty high adn run shitty on pump gas and probably destroy the motor if daily driven.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Ammo Pusher

so should i stay 1.6 and use ctr pistons so it reliable and runs good for daily? i was just thinkin gettin my crank knifed edge for weight and just keep it to stock as possible(parts wise all b16)

this is only a daily and not tryin to get 245whp out of it lol but i mean something that still keeps up

and i think im goin to stay with the 1.6

just wanted to know how much does a knife edge crank work cost at a shop?
and gettin your rods shot peened?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:38 AM
fraggle rock

kyle h. will become famous soon enough

knife edging wont be worth it for a DD, just get a lighter flywheel.

wouldn't worry about getting your rods shot peened either.

Just wasted money IMO.

For a DD, I'd keep it as basic as you can, maybe get a set of cams and a good tune (uber/crome/whatever).
Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Not to steal the thread, but whats knife edging?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 AM
five4zero

Chugger has a spectacular aura aboutChugger has a spectacular aura aboutChugger has a spectacular aura about

if you wanted to go with an ls crank its gonna cost you some money for custom pistons. the wrist pin is moved up so far its inside the ringlands. these motors make power but do not last very long. id go simple get teh b16 crank micropolished and stock b16 rods and ctr pistons and a set of decent cams. If you knife edge the crank take it to a very rep. shop and get everything reblanced. get the pistons balanced as well as teh rods should be a strong 1.6 and rev to the moon. it should spin up pretty quick and fall pretty quick too. id go with a set of skunk2 stage 2's o blox b's which are jun 3 copies.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 AM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

Originally Posted by Chugger
if you wanted to go with an ls crank its gonna cost you some money for custom pistons. the wrist pin is moved up so far its inside the ringlands. these motors make power but do not last very long. id go simple get teh b16 crank micropolished and stock b16 rods and ctr pistons and a set of decent cams. If you knife edge the crank take it to a very rep. shop and get everything reblanced. get the pistons balanced as well as teh rods should be a strong 1.6 and rev to the moon. it should spin up pretty quick and fall pretty quick too. id go with a set of skunk2 stage 2's o blox b's which are jun 3 copies.
I don't think so....

I'm almost certain you can use a ls crank on b16 pistons without custom anything..
Old 11-03-2006, 04:35 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

Chugger is right. I very rarely condemn rod/stroke ratios, but the b16 block has a much lower deck height than a ls, gsr, r block that will ultimetly result in prematurly worn rings, walls, and you will have some oil control issues very soon.

The rod angle with this setup is so great that the piston will actually attempt to "tilt" and becomes unstable during up and down strokes. There have been a couple kids on HT that have tried this and have had the same result.

If your not looking for a lot of power, but still have a fun car, buy some aftermarket pistons, upgrade rods (bolts), AND your valvetrain and rev the motor to 9500 all day.

Good luck

Quick Reply: B16 Block Help