Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b series tranny problem

Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
AaronDavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis
Default b series tranny problem

Hello,

I'm having trouble with a transmission and any help would be greatly appreciated., I have a b series hydro transmission in a b16 hatch. I was told the transmission was a b16 with an LS 5th gear. He told me that he had it gone through and new carbon syhnchros put in and all. I pulled it apart just to put an LSD in and found both sides of the case to be very scrapped up. I got a clutch housing from a type r and the other half from an LS tranny, put the LSD in, measured and shimmed to the correct clearences on the diff bearings and shafts. Put the tranny together blah blah blah....,

Put the tranny in the car and started out for a drive basically. Now for the screwey part. I used an XTD ebay stage 3 clutch and flywheel. When I stop the vehicle, sit in neutral, push in the clutch, and put it in first, it grinds. If i put it in neutral and back in to first it doesn;t do it again until I left off the clutch and put it back in. I thought I had a clutch problem.,

I replaced the master and slave cylinder first. (the mast was leaking and slave was $12 buck more) This did not help.,

Thought maybe the pressure plate was weak so I pulled it out and put an OEM exedy pressure plate and put it back together, same thing.,

Pulled it again, took out the 6 puck clutch and put in the exedy disc, same problem.,

Took a sleeve and put it around the slave cylinder rod to extend it about 3/4 of an inch, no help.,

Adjusted the rod to the master cylinder in many different positions and it didn't change.,

Took the tranny out again and shimmed the clutch stud that the fork snaps on. Still having the problem.,

Any ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.,

Thanks in advanced!,
Aaron
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Banned

FatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these parts
Default Re: b series tranny problem

Get another trans and don't go inside it.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

Originally Posted by FatDakLove
Get another trans and don't go inside it.
As I stated above, I took it apart and there was metal all through the tranny that came from the case being all scrapped up... so that would not have been a good idea.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Engaging and disengaging the clutch is changing the mainshaft and countershaft speeds. That's why the behavior is different depending on what order you do things with the clutch.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
AaronDavis

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Engaging and disengaging the clutch is changing the mainshaft and countershaft speeds. That's why the behavior is different depending on what order you do things with the clutch.
I understand that, but if you think about how a clutch works; then if the engine is not running and you push the clutch pedal to the floor, disengaging the engine from the transmission, and start the engine; theoretically, the friction disc is not touching the flywheel, which would mean the the input shaft (main shaft) would not be spinning and and if the car is sitting still, then the countershaft should not be spinning either. Which means there should be no movement inside the transmission at all.

This one's still making me think but it ended up being a bad blocker ring, if you push the clutch pedal, shift to second then shift to first, it wont grind. Theory and reality don't always agree I guess.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by AaronDavis
Theory and reality don't always agree I guess.
Diagnosing things over the internet sight unseen with partial information doesn't always translate to real life either.

Glad it's fixed though.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
AaronDavis

yeah I know seriously! haha. Thanks for the replies all.

Mods please close
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by AaronDavis
Mods please close
Ok.