Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b series swap in my 96 ek hatch ???'s

Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03
Default b series swap in my 96 ek hatch ???'s

Alright so i just picked up a stock 96 ek hatch and looking to do a swap. i have a si swap mainly in mind right now but also a gsr possibly. This is my first swap ill ever be doing and im kinda lost on a few things.

First off the setup im thinking about doing is:

b16a2 motor
type r ecu
type r tranny

any opinions on this setup? and pros/cons?

also i wont be doing the swap myself, ill of course have someone do it for me.

i will have to change the mounts and brackets to b series correct?
the motor i really want to buy, the guy doesnt have the wiring harness, how much would a wiring harness cost roughly so v tech can be hooked up correctly?
also i was talking to a guy and he said ill have to go from 3 wire to 2 so itll work(i think)
then afterwards i should pick up the s100 hondata tune

anymore info would be greatly appreciated and i really dont wanna take it to get put in when im ready and realize somethings are missing.

thanks in advance everyone
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: b series swap in my 96 ek hatch ???'s

If you want to use the ITR ECU, you won't be able to use an S100. Keep that in mind. OBD2 ECUs can't be chipped, so you can either use a stock ITR ECU (and possibly have to bypass the crank fluctuation sensor if it's a USDM ECU) or use an OBD2 to OBD1 adapter harness which would allow use of a OBD1 ECU (which is compatible with an S100).
Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

JaeDMCIV has disabled reputation

get a full gsr swap and make it easy on urself u'll be happy with it
Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03 i3sxrs03

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you want to use the ITR ECU, you won't be able to use an S100. Keep that in mind. OBD2 ECUs can't be chipped, so you can either use a stock ITR ECU (and possibly have to bypass the crank fluctuation sensor if it's a USDM ECU) or use an OBD2 to OBD1 adapter harness which would allow use of a OBD1 ECU (which is compatible with an S100).
oh yeah thats a good point, im still learning all the differences between obd1 and 2 lol
so how much would an adapter harness for that run me?

Originally Posted by JaeDMCIV
get a full gsr swap and make it easy on urself u'll be happy with it
yeah gsr is a pretty powerful motor
im still deciding what i want to do but i appreciate all the help
Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by i3sxrs03
so how much would an adapter harness for that run me?
Usually between $50 and 100 depending on where you get it and some other small barely important details. There are lots of websites that sell them. I used to make and sell them but I've long since got out of that business.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

the motor i really want to buy, the guy doesnt have the wiring harness, how much would a wiring harness cost roughly so v tech can be hooked up correctly?
also i was talking to a guy and he said ill have to go from 3 wire to 2 so itll work(i think)

anymore info would be greatly appreciated and i really dont wanna take it to get put in when im ready and realize somethings are missing.

First off good luck with the project.

You will have to get some parts from the 99-00 civic Si to make this work. You need the rear T bracket from the Si as well as the front timing mount bracket (the one that bolts to the side of the block). The rest of the GSR mounts will work like the TQ mounts. You have to use the top trans mount and bracket from the Civic and it bolts up fine.

Also make sure that the installer removes the bracket that holds the clutch line. The bracket is on the back side of the trans and will bolt up the the b-series trans without an issue.

You do not need a wiring harness since you cannot use the GSR one anyway. Your car has the one peice harness that runs all the way down to the ECU. The 3 to 2 wire issue is the IACV. Your civic now has a 3 wire one and the b-series engines have a 2 wire IACV.

If you order an exhaust for the car if it does not have one on it (aftermarket) look into getting it for a 99-00 Si since the Si has the Cat under the car. Yours has the Cat built into the header.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Registered member

c1turbo will become famous soon enough

u don't need a another harness use urs and just wire in vtec its 2 wires to the ecu then u just ground one of the wires at the plug, and the IACV u need to find the plug from a integra then look at the wiring layout in a haynes manual and then look at the wiring for a civic then wire the new plug in only using 2 wires and one is not used
Old 09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered member

tylerpoole14 has disabled reputation

Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Registered member

jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam

Originally Posted by tylerpoole14
haha I know man

first off, I know the type r stuff sounds good but you connot run a type r ecu on a b16 motor without a tune plus its an obd2 computer so you cant chip or tune it anyway, so just use a stock b16 ecu. Second, why buy a type r tranny? Do you know much it cost?(to much). Just use a b16 tranny and put an lsd in it. The only think good about a type r tranny is the final drive(which is overrated in my opinion). Third, You need 99-00 si rear mount/tranny L braket and 99-00 si left side timing mount bracket. You dont really need the torque mounts. You also need left mount and another mount(cant remember the other one) from the 99-00 si or jmy suggestion would be just buy some swap mounts from hasport or avid. Fourth, you need to know what obd motor youre going to get because some connectors on obd1 and obd2 motors are different like alternator, dizzy, injectors,etc. Are you saying the car came with no wire harness? or are you saying someone told you to buy another wire harness? If the wiring harness is still in the car you can use that, all you have to do is wire vtec if the motor is obd2, but if the motor is obd1 you have to either buy a obd1 wire harness (preferably a vtec harness) and use that OR use it as a donor for the obd1 connectors you would need. Its so much stuff you got to do man. I suggest you go on honda-tech.com and go on to the FAQ section which is a sticky in the 92-00 civic forums, you will find all answers to your questions there.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Bringin Dwn the Rice

Poizuned Honda has disabled reputation

Alright so i just picked up a stock 96 ek hatch and looking to do a swap. i have a si swap mainly in mind right now but also a gsr possibly. This is my first swap ill ever be doing and im kinda lost on a few things.

First off the setup im thinking about doing is:

b16a2 motor
type r ecu
type r tranny

any opinions on this setup? and pros/cons?

also i wont be doing the swap myself, ill of course have someone do it for me.

first off get a b16a 92-95 del sol sir or as usa calls it civic/del sol vtec it will be obd1 no usdm crap little more juice behind the pedal http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30005
ecu. use a p30 have it chipped.......
my boy has a y21 b16 trans with a ls 1st and 2nd gear, b16 3rd thru 5th and type r final drive shit is nasty......... but the b16a trans is nasty in its self.....

if you buy a complete swap the brackets and mounts should come with it

as far as the harness goes so to http://rywire.com/store/9295-civic-b...42d4b87e007fb6 and get a vtec sub harness there about 80.00 not to bad

as far as hondata goes never used it before

Last edited by Poizuned Honda; 09-24-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: b series swap in my 96 ek hatch ???'s