Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Axleback vs catback exhaust system question

Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER
Default Axleback vs catback exhaust system question

ok so here is the breakdown. i am considering an aftermarket exhaust for an integra gsr sedan. i have been researching as much as i can and i cant find a definitive answer that will point me in the right direction. so i figured why not ask the Honda heads of VA driven. so i guess my question is what would be better to get. is spending an extra 300 or 400 dollars for the piping worth it? or is it the same as just getting the axle back part that will bolt right on. i am confused. if it will help any my choices are the apexi ws2, apexi noir or a yonaka axleback. also which one sounds better and will be better. sorry for all the questions. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: Axleback vs catback exhaust system question

most after market center pipe sections have a resonator that generates more noise over the factory one, getting an axle back will only give you a little bit more noise over a stock muffler, but not as much as a full exhaust
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Registered member

MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER MUFF_DIVER

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
most after market center pipe sections have a resonator that generates more noise over the factory one, getting an axle back will only give you a little bit more noise over a stock muffler, but not as much as a full exhaust
is performance a major factor in getting a full exhaust. i have a fart can on it now from the previous owner and its bumble bee status now but i want to change that. i dont need it to be too loud. same noise level will be ok.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Is the engine modified at all? Fairly stock engines aren't going to see more than a few HP gain from most aftermarket exhaust setups.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by MUFF_DIVER
is performance a major factor in getting a full exhaust. i have a fart can on it now from the previous owner and its bumble bee status now but i want to change that. i dont need it to be too loud. same noise level will be ok.
WS2 axle back looks good and sounds great, or check the internet and find a Type R muffler and have an exhaust shop run you a 2 1/2 straight pipe to the muffler and it will give you a nice sound

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Is the engine modified at all? Fairly stock engines aren't going to see more than a few HP gain from most aftermarket exhaust setups.
but he is going to have the same cat, so unless he gets a test pipe and goes with 2 1/2 I don't know if he will REALLY see any gains with a cat back

Last edited by NasTHatch; 10-29-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Registered member

WS2 axle back looks good and sounds great, or check the internet and find a Type R muffler and have an exhaust shop run you a 2 1/2 straight pipe to the muffler and it will give you a nice sound

but he is going to have the same cat, so unless he gets a test pipe and goes with 2 1/2 I don't know if he will REALLY see any gains with a cat back
well so far the car is pretty stock, minus the pep boys intake from the previous owner. has anyone owned a apexi noir. i was talking to a guy who i work with and he said an axleback is all noise no real performance and that its worth spending the extra 3-400 dollars for extra piping. my set up will be pretty much by the time i really get into it. is the basics, aftermarket real air intake, aftermarket intake manifold, and aftermarket exhaust manifold. just to start. but i really would like to take this fart can off. i have looked under my car and it seems like it has the fartcan first then its welded to a stock looking muffler, i dont know why it was done like this is that normal? seems like my car would be losing performance from stock right because of the two mufflers? but i digress. i might be wrong but i just want some knowledge so i go with the best thing.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Not really worth it on a stock-ish engine unless you really dig the drone-y 4 cylinder sound.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Not really worth it on a stock-ish engine unless you really dig the drone-y 4 cylinder sound.
well i guess for the time it will be a stock-ish engine. but i guess i have to start doing the insides so it can really mean something right. i mean intake header and a intake manifold and exhaust wont be much huh?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered member

Well I think I will just go with cheap yonaka axleback until I can afford full apexi noir exhaust after. So my next question is how hard is it to put rack and pinnion boots on a 96 acura. After reading thru the forums I went ahead and bought both bellows from the local acura dealership so they can fit better.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Racetracks

Should be easy for those boots, shouldn't even have to take the rack off the car. Pop the steering ball joints free from the knuckle, unthread the tie rod ends off the tie rods, replace the boots. Reassemble and get an alignment, unless you have a really good way to mark/measure the tie rod position before you remove them. Else your toe will be wrong.

Quick Reply: Axleback vs catback exhaust system question