VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Axis og oldskool clear coat on lip peeling?? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/axis-og-oldskool-clear-coat-lip-peeling-461188/)

Cbrooks3323 01-06-2013 08:41 PM

Axis og oldskool clear coat on lip peeling??

Well this is my second set I've owned that's done it. First time I just figured it was a defect. Sold the wheels took a loss. I recently acquired another set, and one wheel randomly started to do it again. Axis claims it's a "protective film" after months it chips away to keep the wheel clean.. Yeah bullshit. What options do I have here? Chip it all off and try to re clear it? I'm afraid the elements will ruin the material without it. What causes this? Am I alone?

Fabrik8 01-07-2013 05:23 AM

Re: Axis og oldskool clear coat on lip peeling??

Use a paint stripper and then get them re-cleared or powdercoated with a clear powdercoat. Or buy some higher quality wheels.

Those are the two options though; you can either buy wheels with a higher quality finish, or make them have a higher quality finish.

Cbrooks3323 01-09-2013 01:48 PM

yeah, you would think for almost 200 a wheel they wouldnt do that.

Yep4doors 01-09-2013 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cbrooks3323 (Post 8038030)

Really 200? That's cheap as hell for some wheels

Fabrik8 01-10-2013 12:01 PM

It's actually the kind of quality problems I would expect from a sub-$200 wheel. That and not being very strong, or being strong but very heavy.

Yep4doors 01-10-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8038773)

It's actually the kind of quality problems I would expect from a sub-$200 wheel. That and not being very strong, or being strong but very heavy.

Actually I want to pick your brain for a second fabrik

I got a set of sparco assetto gara's in a trade earlier this week. I know they are priced at $171 each, cheap I know, but they are made by OZ Racing. Since you are an engineer and technical genius, do you think they hold the same quality as other products of the OZ line, or would it be less price, less quality? I feel you have more knowledge than me about things like this.

Daft Punk 01-10-2013 04:28 PM

hahahaha bro, really. $200 a wheel isnt shit. You need to get out more.

Fabrik8 01-11-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yep4doors (Post 8039011)
I got a set of sparco assetto gara's in a trade earlier this week. I know they are priced at $171 each, cheap I know, but they are made by OZ Racing. Since you are an engineer and technical genius, do you think they hold the same quality as other products of the OZ line, or would it be less price, less quality?

That's pretty hard to judge, especially because they're made by one brand and sold by another and you don't know what the manufacturing cost is. You can assume that they're most likely a cast wheel, and OZ probably doesn't have many different casting processes so they're probably pretty similar to OZ wheels in the same price range. The big contributors to price are R&D cost recovery (spread over the entire production run), branding/advertising/marketing, tooling cost, alloy/amount of aluminum, production quantity, etc. So if you have two wheels that are the same manufacturing method, have a similar design (so the tooling cost is similar), weigh about the same, cost roughly the same, and are both sold in high quantity, you can safely assume that they have the same quality.

Yep4doors 01-11-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8039794)

That's pretty hard to judge, especially because they're made by one brand and sold by another and you don't know what the manufacturing cost is. You can assume that they're most likely a cast wheel, and OZ probably doesn't have many different casting processes so they're probably pretty similar to OZ wheels in the same price range. The big contributors to price are R&D cost recovery (spread over the entire production run), branding/advertising/marketing, tooling cost, alloy/amount of aluminum, production quantity, etc. So if you have two wheels that are the same manufacturing method, have a similar design (so the tooling cost is similar), weigh about the same, cost roughly the same, and are both sold in high quantity, you can safely assume that they have the same quality.

You're a genius

That is all.

Cbrooks3323 01-12-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Miguelangelos (Post 8039013)
hahahaha bro, really. $200 a wheel isnt shit. You need to get out more.

not saying they are hot shit. but im not gonna buy ccws and dd my car, nor would i buy super lightweight " racing " wheels to put on my bone stock si.