Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Automatic Transmission Failure after rebuild

Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Doing work mofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down
Default Automatic Transmission Failure after rebuild

2002 4L60e trans.

This is my first auto rebuild

I had lost 2nd and 4th gear and after replacing the fluid and shift solenoids and still having an issue. I ordered a rebuild kit. Since the research I did on the issue could have been several things (sun shell, sun gear, 2-4 band, ect) I decided to replace everything I could when I was in there.

During the rebuild (and not being a knowlegdable transmission tech) I couldn't seem to see any sign of reason to why I lost 2-4 gears. Fuck everything in there looked like it was in excellent shape. No metal in the pan, gears,clutches, seals all looked fairly new (for my first look inside an automatic). I went by the book on the rebuild as well as the installation of the shift kit.

Upon reinstalling the transmission and dumping 10qts in proir to start up, when I did start the truck the motor had a strain on it like it didnt want to stay running. After a minute of running it started to act normal. Then I proceeded to check the fluid and the dip stick was almost full to the top of the tube. The pump was not circulating the fluid (I assume). I let it run for about 5 minutes longer then I tried to test Reverse and nothing, Drive and nothing, 1st and nothing, ect. No movement in the driveshaft.

I made damn sure the torque converter was installed correctly as well as when mounting to the engine I had it in the driveplate with ease and it spun freely proir to bolting it to the driveplate.

So after spending 4 days dropping the trans, rebuilding it, and reinstalling it, I will be taking it down tomorrow and assesssing the damage.

So im finally giving in and seeking some decent advice as to what I need to look for when removing the trans, disassemble of the trans, ect. Everything went back exactly as it came off, I know this because I did everything 2-3 times to ensure I would have this god damn problem...

I took a bunch of pictures of the rebuild if you need to see a certain part.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Automatic Transmission Failure after rebuild

obviously something is not installed correctly..did you get the tranny rebuild book with the kit

it has a detailed breakdown of every pack and how many discs/balls/springs etc and all their locations...it makes building one very easy if you follow directions...

if not i would suggest getting one for this time...call daaco if you deal with them
Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Doing work mofo

Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down

The kit came with no installation instructions other than the paper work telling me which valve body gaskets to use. The kit had all the shit thrown in a bag so I really had no idea what it was until I got into the transmission.

I bought the service manual for the transmission rebuild which would have been impossible for me to do it without it.

Never dealt with daaco before and are you suggesting if I had to go all the way back inside the transmission I would need another rebuild kit? But again who knows what could be fucked up inside.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

i've only rebuilt 2 4l60e's so i'm not sure how much help i can offer. the only problems i ever had was with a gasket that tore during assembly, nothing like what you are describing.

it sounds like oil is not circulating. are you sure the pump assembly is installed correctly?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Doing work mofo

Ok I just pulled the transmission off the truck and the torque converter has a significant amount of play on the oil pump/shaft. Its seated all the way down and still play. Also there was zero fluid left in the TC. Transmission spins and sounds fine. I will tear into it tomorrow morning and see if I can not pinpoint an issue.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Doing work mofo

Found the problem! Broken Rotor in the pump.

Name:  kgO8W.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  75VM3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  485.8 KB

Name:  U6Qva.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  KM5Dp.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  495.7 KB

Question: The pan has a ton of clutch fibers and plastic where the TC broke the rings on the output shaft. I have everything else broken down and it all looks good other than some rough spots on some of the clutches from the fibers. Maybe due to lack of fluid but the truck never moved forward so I dont know why it would have been so much. So does anyone have any 4L60's laying around with a good rotor?
Name:  R8HBr.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  440.1 KB
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Doing work mofo

Ok I need some help

I got everything back together, but I only have reverse and 1st gear. It doesnt shift out of first no matter the RPM or manual shift. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

pressure switch isnt working right or clutch packs are not installed right or you fried them . let me know when your done playing with this . i have someone that has been building tranny for a while for drags and street use.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Doing work mofo

I tell you what, if he can take my 4l60e and go through it and make it right, at a decent price. I might take you up on the offer.

I ended up purchasing another trans to make the truck run. But the one with the rebuilt kit/shift kit is still in tact with the no 3rd gear issue. I had went through the trans 3 more times before giving up.

I want to fix the one with the issue and try and sell it to atleast get some of my money back. Im already out of pocket 2500 or so. Fuck if not more. .... . . . . . ..... .. . . . .....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

Edit

Last edited by aacjohnc; 11-22-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Failure after rebuild