VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   automatic to manual (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/automatic-manual-133225/)

norfolksfinest 03-26-2006 07:52 PM

automatic to manual

hello people, i just bought a 93 hatch the other day from a friend for dirt cheap, but i think the head is about to go. Instead of just fixing the problem i want to just drop a manual swap in it, but i dont want to spend to much. What is a ball park figure of what i should be expecting, and what parts do i exactly need. i know i want a vtech swap, so how should i go about the ecu and vtech. If somebody has a step by step procedure that would be awesome.

crxnfx 03-26-2006 10:26 PM

Re: automatic to manual

do you want dohc or sohc? lets get that out of the way first.

and as for the swap- its relatively easy. I would get a new gauge cluster though- since you don't have that auto anymore.

Hatch Man(GsR) 03-26-2006 11:22 PM

Your first step is to spell VTEC right.

If you are planning on swapping, get the swap and it will likely come with a 5spd tranny. You can get the parts you need to convert for under 100 bucks if you are crafty. You will need to either make your own, or buy an auto-manual conversion mount. I made mine, and it was no problem...

The rest of the conversion is pretty straight forward...

BOOSTED-EK 03-27-2006 05:09 AM

See if you can get lucky and buy a front clip, then you'll have EVERYTHING you need.

heres one for 2600 with a b16 and everything

Fabrik8 03-27-2006 09:39 AM

If you already have the correct ECU for the engine you want, it can be converted from auto to manual if it's OBD1. It's quick and painless. Talk to VR4-ever, he can do it.

Hatch Man(GsR) 03-27-2006 07:56 PM

mail it First class to Fabrik8! :thup:

91civhatch 03-27-2006 08:18 PM

I just got mine done and its not hard at all pm me if you have quistions. The hardest part is putting the peddles in. Its not really hard just time consuming

Hatch Man(GsR) 03-27-2006 08:19 PM

I agree, I hated that. I wanted to break everything before I was done installing the pedals.

Its just really tight...

norfolksfinest 03-27-2006 08:52 PM

well who can do it out there real cheap, im talking to someone right now but im lookin at offers, i really dont have time to do it myself, i just need to know what parts i need if someone copuld help me out, i want to learn and all but i have school and work til summertime

Hatch Man(GsR) 03-27-2006 08:56 PM

I'm gettin setup for stuff like this. I am building a 30' x 50' steel building. It will be equipped with a 2 post car lift, shop air, and plenty of other goodies that will come in handy during motor swaps, turbo installations, conversions, and anything else you can think of... It will be finished by this summer.