Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Audio Help

Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gr0dy has disabled reputation
Default Audio Help

I got a 03 altima with the bose system and i want to replace everything (head unit, speakers, and amp) and install subs. Only problem is it has 6 speakers, the only way i see it is i would need 3 amps , 1 for 4 speakers , 1 for the subs , 1 for the other 2 speakers, if this is the only way how would i wire it as far as power/ground ( a dist. block?) and would i need a separate battery and cap?I guess i would split the signal with one of the amps since the head unit will only have front/rear/sub? If there is another way please let me know thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Audio Help

run a 4 channel amp and then the jbl 6 channel amp

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7QpImeM...O755-6-II.html

wiring dont know as i dont mess with audio haha engines are my thing . i just know a friend with a 4 and 6 channel amp

Last edited by radiaki11; 04-02-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Get a 6 channel amp and a sub amp, or 3 amps. The amps for the main speakers are going to be fairly small so I don't think installation will be a problem. You can match the amp power to the size of the speakers, so if you have little 4" speakers you could put 35 watts instead of something like 50 or 75 watts for a larger size speaker. Basically you don't necessarily need 6 amps channels with 75 watts each, so the amps might not add up to be physically very big (if that makes sense..).

I'd say get a 6 channel if possible though, that way you'll have the most compact installation possible, or you could install the amps in different areas if you need.

I'd take a look at the dimensions of whatever amps you're interested in, and see if they'll fit where you want them to go. Looking at the link to the JBL amp above, it appears that a 4 channel and a 2 channel amp might take up less room than the JBL 6 channel, but I could be wrong..

As far as the wiring, a cap isn't necessary on anything but the sub amp. The other amp(s) aren't going to be drawing the same peak current loads as the sub amp will, so don't waste your money. Install the cap as close as possible to the sub amp, just like normal.
A distribution block is the easiest way to distribute power and ground, yes. The ground block will be non-fused (obviously), but the power block should have a fuse per output (which also makes it easy to pull a fuse and shut off an amp for tuning or troubleshooting).

If the amps are in different locations (not very close to each other) you can use a fused distr block for power but you should ground the amps to the chassis where they are installed, instead of running long grounds back to a central distr block..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-02-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Get a 6 channel amp and a sub amp, or 3 amps. The amps for the main speakers are going to be fairly small so I don't think installation will be a problem. You can match the amp power to the size of the speakers, so if you have little 4" speakers you could put 35 watts instead of something like 50 or 75 watts for a larger size speaker. Basically you don't necessarily need 6 amps channels with 75 watts each, so the amps might not add up to be physically very big (if that makes sense..).

I'd say get a 6 channel if possible though, that way you'll have the most compact installation possible, or you could install the amps in different areas if you need.

I'd take a look at the dimensions of whatever amps you're interested in, and see if they'll fit where you want them to go. Looking at the link to the JBL amp above, it appears that a 4 channel and a 2 channel amp might take up less room than the JBL 6 channel, but I could be wrong..

As far as the wiring, a cap isn't necessary on anything but the sub amp. The other amp(s) aren't going to be drawing the same peak current loads as the sub amp will, so don't waste your money. Install the cap as close as possible to the sub amp, just like normal.
A distribution block is the easiest way to distribute power and ground, yes. The ground block will be non-fused (obviously), but the power block should have a fuse per output (which also makes it easy to pull a fuse and shut off an amp for tuning or troubleshooting).

If the amps are in different locations (not very close to each other) you can use a fused distr block for power but you should ground the amps to the chassis where they are installed, instead of running long grounds back to a central distr block..
ok thanks. Do you think id be alright with just the 1 battery? Then since the head unit only has 6 channel (front/rear/sub) outputs id use a rca male to 2 female to merge all 4 rear speakers because theres 2 in the back doors and 2 in the back panel or is there a better way of doing that. Thanks man
Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

Smoove1 has disabled reputation

depends on the subs and the power your pulling off of the battery or try a cap and see if that helps if not then the alternator is what you really need to upgrade if your lights are dimming really bad afterwords.

MECP Certified Professional Installer
Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 AM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough

Since you are replacing everything, the fact that it was bose equipped means nothing (assuming your running new wiring). I would keep the tweeters in the dash or move them to the base of the a-pillars, keep the mids in the front and rear doors, shitcan whatever junk is installed in the rear deck but keep the grilles, and throw sub in trunk. Also, If your gonna do that much work invest in some second skin as well while you have everything apart.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Smoove1
depends on the subs and the power your pulling off of the battery or try a cap and see if that helps if not then the alternator is what you really need to upgrade if your lights are dimming really bad afterwords.

it would be 550 watts for the subs , around 350-400 watts for the speakers. The lights dimmed pretty bad in my crown vic with only 350 to the subs.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

Smoove1 has disabled reputation

then the alternator is what you really need to upgrade if your lights are dimming really bad
Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

whoa whoa lets slow down here for a hot second.

Just becuase you're altima is advertised as a 6 speaker + subwoofer vehicle does not always mean that you need 7 channels.

According to Metra, you have 6.5" and 1" tweeters in the front, and 5.25" speakers in the rear, with a 6x9 woofer.

Normally, if you replace the front speakers and tweeter, you should replace those with a set of component speakers. These component speakers come with a 6.5" speaker, a tweeter of some size, and a passive crossover. The crossover will allow you to split one audio connection from an amplifier to both the midrange speaker and the tweeter. This crossover will filter the audio signals going to both, allowing more midrange signals to the 6.5" speaker, and the high range signals to the tweeter. If you use this configuration, then you will only need to use a 5 channel amp in the vehicle. This is becuase both the from speakers and tweeter will only need two channels, the rear speakers will need two channels, and the subwoofer will only need one channel. I've attached a diagram for you to better understand the setup.

btw, MECP Advanced Installer too

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Audio Help-altima_system.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I was wondering about that, whether 2 of those channels were tweets. You can never predict nowadays with the multichannel systems that are OEM'd in cars.

So yeah, it sounds like a 4 channel amp and a sub amp is the way to go, and get a component set for the front. Ditch the stock sub obviously; you sound like you've got much bigger plans than what the little stocker can put out.

Don't worry about the alternator for now, just get the system installed and see how it performs. Again, keep the grounds as short as possible and the distance from the cap to the sub amp as short as possible.

Also make sure you add an extra ground in the engine bay from the chassis to the battery. A lot of people forget that step and then the stock ground becomes a bottleneck for current flow.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-03-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Audio Help