Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Anyone know if the auto shops on base have anything that can clean this out?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
my name is andy.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks
Default Anyone know if the auto shops on base have anything that can clean this out?

Got a used intake manifold and I guess the PO have a blown CCV or something. There is caked on dirt/oil all on the inside. I tried cleaning it out with random degreasers but it did not really work all that well.

What would be the best way to clean this out? Would the auto shops on base have anything that could work?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
oh sol slow

slowMR2 is a jewel in the roughslowMR2 is a jewel in the roughslowMR2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone know if the auto shops on base have anything that can clean this out?

try brake cleaner. i use it on almost anything
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E
Default Re: Anyone know if the auto shops on base have anything that can clean this out?

Pressure washer
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
STi Round I

Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G.

CRC Brakleen....
Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How thick is that sludge layer? I'd say get a bottle brush and something stronger than you were using before. You aren't going to clean that just with degreaser, you need something to mechanically remove most of the sludge so the degreaser can dissolve the rest.

You could get it hot tanked also..
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Owe 'bama Care

BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT

Extrude hone.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

They'd probably reject it. They like to reuse their abrasive paste a few times. That was one of the first things I had thought of though.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Owe 'bama Care

BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
They'd probably reject it. They like to reuse their abrasive paste a few times.
Wouldn't they hot tank it first?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Racetracks

Probably, don't know though. You'd think they would, but maybe it's an unnecessary step unless the parts are really dirty.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
fuck this shit

grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn

could get a really big metal pot and boil it. could also use brake-kleen and some type of bendable thing like what you'd use to clean a test tube. good luck though.

Quick Reply: Anyone know if the auto shops on base have anything that can clean this out?