Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Anyone know the difference between a F20b and an H22a

Old 02-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZNFURY_X has disabled reputation
Default Anyone know the difference between a F20b and an H22a

Hey i was wondering if anyone knew the difference between a f20b motor (euro r) to a h22 motor. I have the f20b motor and want to build the internals for turbo. My question is if the h22 parts would fit into the f20b. I am looking for low compression pistons, rods and a headgasket. Not really trying to sleeve the block either so i know that limits me. Please help me if you know. Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default Re: Anyone know the difference between a F20b and an H22a

I seriously doubt most of it will fit. F20b is sohc and h22 is dohc. The headgasket will probably not fit at all. The pistons might be interchangeable and the same with the rods. You could do a search on say www.optauto.com and check between part numbers. thats what I would do.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:20 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

for instance, just from that website I was able to gleen this:

crower kit for H22: CRO-B93748
Crower kit for F23 CRO-B93747

pistons are easy- you can shave and file them or bore out to make them fit.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Originally Posted by crxnfx
F20b is sohc and h22 is dohc.
The F20B is the Accord Type R motor in Japan (blue top), it is nearly 12:1 compression stock and is DOHC. They are rediculous motors, and unfortunately other than the fact that they are 225 hp stock (probably at the crank) I know nothing about them.

The H22A7 is the Accord Euro R motor (red top) and is the most powerfull H22 honda makes, I can't remember if they put that in a certain Prelude in Japan or not.

If I remember correctly the F20B is similar to the F22B and is a lego motor, meaning, a GSR water pump, B series cam gears, F22 intake and exhaust manifolds. If you check out Hondatech.com you could probably find something.

Stephen

EDIT: I would not build a F20B for turbo, they make bad ass N/A motors, they already require 105 octain from the factory, lowering it's compression for turbo would make it slightly more streetable, but if you turboed it at high compression (after you find forged internals of course) and ran strictly race fuel you'd have one bad ass motor.

Last edited by WishIHadaSilvia; 02-07-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

I used to own an F20b swapped 5th gen. Yes, the DOHC JDM one. It was absolutely sick n/a, but stupid me had already bought a turbo for an H22 and was going to slap it on, but everything got stolen and it never happened.

Anyway, back to the question, the key difference between the F20b and H22 is A) the F20b has a shorter stroke to give it the less displacement, but ability to rev to 9k all day, and B) The F20b has a higher c/r due to the pistons, I believe. I wasn't there when they opened up the head to look inside, but I was told it was a beast of an engine internally.

I am one to make fun of VTEC-junkies, but everyone who rode in that car could not BELIEVE how much you could feel the VTEC engane in it...moerso than any other engine any Honda junkie had ever seen. So keep it n/a, do some supporting mods, and enjoy your 200+ whp monster.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Hey thanks everyone for the info. Not sure what exactly i am gonna do yet,. Unfortunately i already have a complete turbo kit that is built and actually pieced it together before the swap. When i went to noyan motor i saw the f20b and decided to get that. But Merf you are right this is a pretty sick N/A motor. The torque is rediculous in this car. Only problem is having the turbo kit and me being stubborn, i want to put it on. But only if it can be done right. If anyone knows of any N/a parts that i can build this up with let me know. But thanks again to everyone.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Ghost

You sound EXACTLY like me 4 years ago. I had the turbo kit all done and ready for an H22, but there wasn't one available, so I was offered the F20b for a proce I couldnt' refuse. Like I said, I never got to see it in action, but unless you get some extremely fine tuning, I would be afraid to push more than 8 PSI through that engine, it is such a high c/r! Good luck with it, though. If you have any problems, a guy named Josh helped put the shit together on mine.

BTW, how did you combat the power steering problem with the installation?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

BTW, how did you combat the power steering problem with the installation?[/QUOTE]

Yea its hard to say "No" when you have to see a turbo kit everyday just sitting in front of you. But the only way i want to put it on, is if i have either a good head gasket or low compression pistons. As for your question......well i had to go commando and take out the power steering and a/c. Parking can be a bitch sometimes But it was worth it in the long run. Its really not to bad to drive without the power steering.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Ghost

Yeah, I didn't have it either for the short life of the complete swap. I fully intended to fab up a bracket (or have one fabbed I should say) because I hated not having P/S.

Personally I wouldn't fuck with the pistons, that's what makes the car so damn "toruqey"! My intention was to get a thicker gasket, and from what I was told by the shop that tore the head off, it looked pretty damn close to a standard H22 head gasket. It's going to be a matter of taking it off and sizing it up to different model H22 ones...expensive R&D unless you know of a show that has some handy.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MerF
Yeah, I didn't have it either for the short life of the complete swap. I fully intended to fab up a bracket (or have one fabbed I should say) because I hated not having P/S.

Personally I wouldn't fuck with the pistons, that's what makes the car so damn "toruqey"! My intention was to get a thicker gasket, and from what I was told by the shop that tore the head off, it looked pretty damn close to a standard H22 head gasket. It's going to be a matter of taking it off and sizing it up to different model H22 ones...expensive R&D unless you know of a show that has some handy.
Damn Merf I didn't know you used to be into Hondas. That would have been a very bad ass setup. I've never seen it before.

Quick Reply: Anyone know the difference between a F20b and an H22a