Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Anyone on here a VW or Audi tech or has done a timing belt on a 1.8T motor?

Old 08-15-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g9s0x has disabled reputation
Default Anyone on here a VW or Audi tech or has done a timing belt on a 1.8T motor?

I've got a 2000 Audi TT that I am doing the timing belt/water pump service to. I've run into some difficulty installing the new belt on the engine. I've done a handful of timing belts/chains in my time and never have I had such an issue. They usually slide on without any particular difficulty and the auto tensioner takes care of the rest. However, I cannot for the life of me get this new belt on and I'm now beyond frustrated. I'm in Centreville and I would only need you to help me get the belt installed. Of course, I would compensate you for your time and help as well. Please email me as soon as possible if you can help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 AM
SHIPRIDER

Vwgtimk3 has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Anyone on here a VW or Audi tech or has done a timing belt on a 1.8T motor?

I would get to know a Vw tech for this kinda job....
Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 AM

g9s0x has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone on here a VW or Audi tech or has done a timing belt on a 1.8T motor?

Well I finally got it yesterday after I was able to borrow a second set of hands. This proved to be very difficult with only one set of hands. I tried removing the tensioner pulley, tried removing the auto tensioner, and all the other normal methods, but nothing seemed to work. With everything installed, I left the tensioner pulley loose and slide the belt barely on the camshaft pulley, water pump, and tensioner pulley. I then had someone hold the belt in place up top to keep it from slipping off. I then pulled it so that a few teeth engaged the crankshaft sprocket (still had like 3/4 inch to go before it would've fully seated and it was beyond tight at this point) and then (making sure all marks were still at TDC) I rotated the crank bolt and "walked" the belt onto the crank sprocket. It was very resistive but it went on without too much trouble this way. I tried it before by myself but it would just slip off up top due to the resistive force. I then took the square end of a block of small wood and tapped the belt into the groove so that it was fully seated and that was it. Needless to say I was overwhelmed with joy and proceeded to start it up to check the work and it was perfect.

I guess for future reference, those that are having alot of trouble should try the "walking" method like I did. As long as both the cam and crank marks are at TDC, you should be fine because the belt is engaged enough on the crank sprocket that when you start to turn it, everything will move in unison with it. Worked wonders for me, and an extra set of hands is almost essential.

Other than this part, the job was very easy in my opinion. Should be easy for those with even moderate mechanical ability and the Bentley CD manual is helpful.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Dick has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone on here a VW or Audi tech or has done a timing belt on a 1.8T motor?

there is 4 different timing belts for the 1.8t motor 150=152=153=155 teeth belts and there are updated tensioner too
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

that head/valvetrain is one of the most rediculously designed engines i have ever seen. the way the cams lobes are for the 5 vavles is screwy and the dumbest cam drive technique in the world. i will NEVER rebuild one of those again.

anyways, good job on figuring things out on your own.