Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Amplifier Problems

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAWESOME has disabled reputation
Default Amplifier Problems

I went and got a quick system last night...
MA Audio 1889i 800 watt amp that is 800x1 at 2 ohms or 400x1 at 4 ohms
2 Kicker 10's DVC rated at 450rms 4ohm
wired with a 1200watt power cable etc

System is wired like so http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/...4-ohm_mono.jpg

It worked fine for about two minutes then it just cut off... was hittin pretty hard then it just died... now it;s not cutting on?

Did i fry the amp?

It said it was 2ohm stable and 4 ohm stable, it's wired for 4 ohm so idk what to do.
I checked my ground, remote, power and fuses and I'm lost... Location: Portsmouth
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 AM
LickMyButthole

yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99
Default Re: Amplifier Problems

Sounds like thermal protection. I would double check the wiring just in case.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 AM
s13
Registered Member

s13 will become famous soon enough

Is it getting power? Any sparks playing with any wires? Everything to your battery running fine? I had to play around with mine for a bit on my latest set up it did that. Is your ground good? it might just be in a bad spot
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

Check ground
check fuses

if not either check ALL wiring
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dru
Check ground
check fuses

if not either check ALL wiring
With car running, i have 14.61 volts at the amp on power wire. .5 ohm in the ground at the amp, remote puts out a volt at car startup at the amp... speakers are putting out 4 ohms from the box...

It worked fine for about a whole song, was very loud and i was about to turn the gain and everything down, and it just cut off, no protection light or anything!? i know the protect works cause i was messing with different ohm loads last night and cvertain ones it would turn onto protect until i unhooked the speakers... So I'm lost, about to pick up another amp to see if it's the amp
Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by PAWESOME
2 Kicker 10's DVC rated at 450rms 4ohm
So each of those subs has two voice coils that are 4 ohms each, or 8 ohms each?

If they're rated 450RMS 4 ohm, that implies that the sub can be a 4 ohm load, which means that they have to be either dual 2ohm voice coils in series or dual 8 ohm voice coils in parallel.

I'm thinking you either have the wrong impedance subs, or have wired something wrong. Either way, the amp should be protected and should turn back on once it cools down, unless you've blown an input fuse or something. It's still possible to damage the amp though, and if you've hooked the wrong load to the amp, you don't really have any recourse because it would be completely your own fault.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-10-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Well it is DVC rated at 4 ohms... Coming out of my box i have a reading of 3.91 ohms. My question is, if i wired the speakers wrong they wouldn;t work, they did work but the whole system shut down.. all fuses are good and no protect light or anything...
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

I got 2 kicker comp vr 10 inch subs, DVC... the poitive and negatives of the coils aren't known... they are at four corners, postive at tip top, negative at far right, postive at bottom, and negative far left... how the hell do i know which VC is which?

Last edited by PAWESOME; 01-10-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by PAWESOME
Well it is DVC rated at 4 ohms... Coming out of my box i have a reading of 3.91 ohms. My question is, if i wired the speakers wrong they wouldn;t work, they did work but the whole system shut down.. all fuses are good and no protect light or anything...
So what is 4 ohms? Each coil? Or are the two coils already wired in some configuration out of the box and that total is 4 ohms? What you're saying doesn't really make sense.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So what is 4 ohms? Each coil? Or are the two coils already wired in some configuration out of the box and that total is 4 ohms? What you're saying doesn't really make sense.
Guy had boxed wired for 1ohm and i didn't realize it till i really took the time to look at it. I got new wiring, wired it for 2ohms... got a new amp (Infinity) and it works beautifully. One of the resistors for voltage was burned to a crisp. going to kane's electronics to find a replacement part to see if i can fix it for a spare amp... this possible?

Quick Reply: Amplifier Problems