Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Amplifier Power Loss

Old 01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
ScrewD010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikahl is on a distinguished road
Default Amplifier Power Loss

Just moved my amp, and installed it on the back of one of my rear seats, so it's now in the vertical position. Making room for new set up : | Just getting the red light from the power indicator (Red=Bad,Green=Good).

I'm posting right before work, and will read later, plan to work on it tommorow I think I just have to thread the power wire better, because it was working fine before it was moved, just post if you might know what it is,or similar exp, thnks ahead of time.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:47 PM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

More than likely its just the power wire, turn-on lead, or ground wire...but make sure that if you mount it on the back of your seat, that its not mounted metal-to-metal. If there is no vinyl or carpet on the back of the seat, use small rubber feet in between the amp and the metal.

If the amp is still not turning on, there may be a bad connection inside the amp causing a short.

Jay
Old 01-15-2004, 02:58 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

could it be overheating in the vertical position? amps are known to thermal in cramped locations also.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:24 PM
ScrewD010

I dont think it's overheating, because I just installed it and it was red right when just testing it.

Metal to metal? The back of the seat has the cover"Pleather like material", then some plastic then metal, but I'll put some rubber just in case, good tip.

The power wire is all bend over backwards because the amp is closer to the battery now,if that matters, I will rethread it, but will cutting it shorter just make it look better? Or could twisted wires be a problem?

I haven't touched it since this afternoon but I'm gonna read this post before I mess with it tommorow afternoon, thnks for the replys.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:53 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so its not touching metal.

Maybe if the power wire is bent too far, it is not all the way threaded in.

Also, make sure your ground wire is grounded well! If you screwed it to any metal pieces with paint, scrape all the paint off.

It may not sound like a big difference, but that paint (or dirt) will drive you crazy trying to find the problem.

Shoot me a PM if you still need any help.

Jay
Old 01-16-2004, 07:17 AM
ScrewD010

Ok I'm gonna work on it in like 30mins, I'll check if there's anything touching or intefering with the ground wire. I doubt it since it was working fine before the move, but just incase.

I'm going to go ahead and cut the power wire a bout 2inches shorter because, it's receiving power but when it's red, it's either the Speaker wire is not inserted correctly or the power wire is not threaded good enough.

I'll update later today, and I'll definently (dunno if that's spelled right) pm you if I need it.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

Test lights are your friend.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Banned

GotB00stPsi is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i have a amp in the vertical position, touching metal, behind the bench of my 1gen s10, and i have no problems, i would check your fuses, power wire, and ground. your power wire may have a cut in it, and grouding it out, make sure that nothings grounded, or that the connection points on the amp is not touching anything metal, and causing a link between the power, and ground :-) but if this was the case you would see sparks :-p,
Old 01-18-2004, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668

what kind of amp? Red on my amp means it is on. if you have a red and yellow on then you have a short somewhere at leaste on my amp I used to have.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
ScrewD010

Unhappy : \

Ok just for overall look:
- Amplifier is in Vertical Position
- Not touching metal
- Ground Wire is fine
- Red means bad/Green means good
- When Red no power goes to SW

What I've done:
- Cleaned area surrounding ground wire
- All the fuses checked ok(Amp/Car)
- ReThreaded the 12v 8G power wire, and also held the wire in unplugged form w/o the top just the copper wires to the amp and still RED(thats bad). Which means problem is not with the power wire.
- The Speaker wires are cleanly inserted to amp\SW
- The Remote Wire is ok
- Only wire being pinched is speaker wire...and manual states: When red the speaker wire is not correctly inserted, thats what it said last mnth when I had a similiar problem if I remember right.
-Unbolted the amp and moved it onto just the carpet and still red, so metal2metal is not the problem.

Plans to do:
-Rewire the speaker wire ontop of the carpet so its not being Pinched...I believe this will fix it, since everything was PERFECT worlking order in horizontal position and went moved it to vertical just RED, and tahts same time the Spkr wire is being pinched so, this is what should be the problem unless pigs fly,

Your Opinions/tips/etc are welcome, thnks again for everyone replying.

Quick Reply: Amplifier Power Loss