Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Aluminum/block cleaning

Old 01-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello
Default Aluminum/block cleaning

I'm rebuilding my d16 and the block is covered in oil and all the alloy parts are covered in oxidation... I'd like to clean all this up w/o gettin the block hot tanked, acid washed etc... I'd like to build/clean the engine 100% myself... Any suggestions? Cleaning compound recommendations? Tips?

ib4 blast it w/ piss
Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Aluminum/block cleaning

If it's just oil and grime, there are a lot of things that can clean it very well. Simple Green, Purple Power, many choices. Get a couple scrub brushes and go at it.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

I'd already planned on doing that... But I'd like to have some sort of luster when its finished... I'm not sayin I want to polish it b/c I really don't have the time or the attention span for it lol.... I figured I'd go at it w/ a tooth brush and some sort of aluminum cleaning compound... I just don't know what to use...

I have some never-dull... ??
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

I've used simple green in hot water to clean off a diesel car's intake manifold. Bathroom plastic bristle scrub brushes work well and don't scratch.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

You can pick up aluminum polish stuff at any auto place or wal-mart in the wheel cleaning section, not all that difficult. Mothers foam ball thing works well with a drill.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Zerofucksgiven

How bout some 0000 grade wire wool? I've used it to clean rust off of chrome w/ good results. Would I get similar results w/ aluminum?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Cyanide Jello
I'd already planned on doing that... But I'd like to have some sort of luster when its finished... I'm not sayin I want to polish it b/c I really don't have the time or the attention span for it lol.... I figured I'd go at it w/ a tooth brush and some sort of aluminum cleaning compound... I just don't know what to use...

I have some never-dull... ??
Clean it first, and then use aluminum polish or wheel polish or whatever looks suitable for what you're trying to do.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Clean it first, and then use aluminum polish or wheel polish or whatever looks suitable for what you're trying to do.
I'll start workin on this soon... I'll attempt to take pics...

Edit: I'll hopefully get it cleaned up before all my forged goodies get here... I think I got enough goin on for a build thread?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

You can Clean it all up with simple green and then throw a coat of engine paint on it to get that nice smooth even surface coating back. A scotchbrite pad will shine it up nice but will be pretty hard to get into the tight spaces ect.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

as stated previously, a engine degreaser and wire brush go a long way.
I personally have used purple power for the past 17 years. It will remove paint if left for long enough though. I wouldnt recommend using it in full concetrated form either; it seems to work far better if you follow the directions.
spray off your area you degreased with water. let it dry.
If the area was previously painted I strip it off with paint stripper from home depot/ lowes. goopy shit that is neutralized with water.
I have a wire wheel I attach to the drill for the larger surfaces. for the corners use a wire brush.
80 grit sand paper it doesnt seem to clog up as easy as say 200+. this is just to get your area down to the metal.
use a fast evaporating solvent, i.e. brake cleaner. then go to a finer grit sand paper.
once that is all done get some vht paint your local auto store should have a few finishes you can select from. I seen today there is a "natural cast" vht has available. I may try that one day. but I like the aluminum finish.
hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Aluminum/block cleaning