Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

all motor ls vtec , where do i start?!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM
vtak!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsershatch has disabled reputation
Default all motor ls vtec , where do i start?!

I recently acquired a ls bottom end (b18b1), we put a motor in a customers car and I've had this thing sitting around the shop for a few months, the head is junk, i dont know what condition the pistons and what not are in, they dumped sand in oil fill hole, im pretty sure a machine shop could take care of minor cylinder wall damage, my question to you all is, what would be best to put back in when i get the block back
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

brandon.beene can only hope to improve
Default Re: all motor ls vtec , where do i start?!

There is a shit load of threads on google if you research it, but ill give you a litte bit of what i did with my buddys motor. assuming the walls will be fine and you will not need to bore it out any, I would get a set of p30 pistons they are just a nut hair higher compression then the pr3 pistons but Both will work fine and can be found for cheap, as little as 50 bucks a set. I would really consider getting ARP headstuds and aftermarket rods, the LS/vtec has a low R/S ratio and its not good on the stock rods to be reving that high.

The power is in the head, pr-3 heads flow better than the p72 heads, But the p72 will raise your compression a nut hair, You can do little things like getting a 2 layer HG or milling it to bump up your compression. Im a fan of bronze valve guides, But im sure somebody will disagree with using anything other than stock guides. As far as valves, if you wanna keep OEM shit, go with ITR valves as they are a little bit lighter then the other b series valves. there are plenty of good companys out on the market that make good valves that can handle the heat better. but if you dont feel like messing with it them keep the stock ones in. Your choice of aftermarket cams, i wouldnt go No higher then skunk2 pro 1's and deffinatly switch out to aftermarket dual springs. retainers are recomended with the choice of dual valve springs. Get you a edelbrock performer x because the power band is going to be in the RPMs that you will most likely be in. And a nice DC sports header will work wonders. Alot of stuff can be found on H-T.com for cheap. all motor LSvtec and you can hit 200whp with the right build and get good torque numbers.

Last edited by brandon.beene; 06-21-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:50 AM
Registered member

dcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these parts

he said nuthair two times.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 AM
CrossFit KILLS

Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r

Originally Posted by brandon.beene
There is a shit load of threads on google ....etc etc
Great post. One thing....what mayzurment is nuthair? Metric? :shrug:
Old 06-23-2010, 04:59 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by bsershatch
I recently acquired a ls bottom end (b18b1), we put a motor in a customers car and I've had this thing sitting around the shop for a few months, the head is junk, i dont know what condition the pistons and what not are in, they dumped sand in oil fill hole, im pretty sure a machine shop could take care of minor cylinder wall damage, my question to you all is, what would be best to put back in when i get the block back
Does not compute
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
LOL, Very very small i guess
Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM
vtak!

what would i use ecu wise, would it be ideal to go with a p28

Last edited by bsershatch; 06-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bsershatch
usually when you replace a motor, you pull out the old one, and put in a new one, and the old one goes on the floor...does that compute?
ownd. lol
Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
vtak!

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
break out the micrometer