Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Alignment issue? Not sure, I need your input

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbotyler has disabled reputation
Default Alignment issue? Not sure, I need your input

Ok so on my 02 wrx (all stock), I decided to get myself a new set of wheels because oems were kissed & scratched, just bad shape. I get 17' rims, with good tires on it off craigslist for a decent price, not looking to mod this car just need it to get from A-B.

On the oem wheels, at any given speed, the car will go straight when you take your hands of steering wheel.
I put on the new wheels, as expected, it steers slightly to the left. So next day first thing I go to get an alignment done, hoping this would fix it. Well it didnt fix it.. Now I need your help, what else could be a factor? tire pressure? Im totally lost and hope one of you can help. The steering wheel does not shake at all, just steers left.

I can post the wheels brand/ tire brand & size if needed.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Alignment issue? Not sure, I need your input

Tire pressure or tire wear, or a bad alignment. Also consider the crown of the road.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The cheap and easy thing to do is check the tire pressure and then start rotating the wheels to the other corners of the car. If there is a problem with a particular wheel/tire, it should go away or follow that wheel/tire to the new position.

Try some different roads also, like a highway and a parking lot. If tire wear or higher tire stiffness (from a stiffer, wider tire) is causing the car to tramline, you should see a difference on different types of roads.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered member

Jerrseyy has disabled reputation

Awesome response!^ GL
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

And by the way, make sure that you get a printout of the alignment specs. I've had shops not adjust anything because the settings were within the (usually very wide) tolerance range. That can sometimes cause problems, so for example if the camber on the left side of the car is on the low end of the range, and the camber on the right side is on the high end of the range, you could get significant differences on either side of the car even though they're both within range. ....
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Originally Posted by turbotyler
Ok so on my 02 wrx (all stock), I decided to get myself a new set of wheels because oems were kissed & scratched, just bad shape. I get 17' rims, with good tires on it off craigslist for a decent price, not looking to mod this car just need it to get from A-B.

On the oem wheels, at any given speed, the car will go straight when you take your hands of steering wheel.
I put on the new wheels, as expected, it steers slightly to the left. So next day first thing I go to get an alignment done, hoping this would fix it. Well it didnt fix it.. Now I need your help, what else could be a factor? tire pressure? Im totally lost and hope one of you can help. The steering wheel does not shake at all, just steers left.

I can post the wheels brand/ tire brand & size if needed.
Could be the 17 foot tall wheels you put on the car...

Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The cheap and easy thing to do is check the tire pressure and then start rotating the wheels to the other corners of the car. If there is a problem with a particular wheel/tire, it should go away or follow that wheel/tire to the new position.

Try some different roads also, like a highway and a parking lot. If tire wear or higher tire stiffness (from a stiffer, wider tire) is causing the car to tramline, you should see a difference on different types of roads.
Sorry for the typing error i meant 17 inch. Thanks for the advice i'll start with the tire pressure and rotating the wheels. Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

What the heck are RIMS
Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Igofast
Post was here....
Someone just got a one week ban for racism.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-03-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM
not ram my shit.

RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT

Fabrik8, You know all i swear. I work at a tire shop know alot about tires. This man has spoke every possible answer. And always get a print out of alightment specs. IF they dont well complian til you do.