Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Help

Old 02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00CivicGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheel Help

Heres the situation:

I have a Momo steering wheel and a Momo hub. We are trying to wire it for a horn. The hub has one wire that comes out, and a plate that has a place for the ground to connect to. My questions is, how does the hub get power? the back side of the hub is metal. does this thing:

come apart and one part stays on the column or what??? if not how the fuck does this bitch get power to the hot wire

that is some sorta SRS thing that behind the stock steering wheel
Old 02-22-2005, 07:17 PM
moDUH ratR

zenkiticks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheel Help

Originally Posted by 00CivicGirl
Heres the situation:

I have a Momo steering wheel and a Momo hub. We are trying to wire it for a horn. The hub has one wire that comes out, and a plate that has a place for the ground to connect to. My questions is, how does the hub get power? the back side of the hub is metal. does this thing:

come apart and one part stays on the column or what??? if not how the fuck does this bitch get power to the hot wire

that is some sorta SRS thing that behind the stock steering wheel

it's really pretty simple...i did it on my old 96 once before. you'll need to get a feeler gauge, and first take out the horn wire from the srs harness, and lose the srs thing completely. downside is you probably will have to manually cut off your turn signals, b/c that srs part actually is what controls on the turn signals as the steering wheel winds and unwinds that part.

1- take the horn wire out of the connector, route it up through the sterring column (it may need to be lengthened..) and screw it into the bottom left most mounting point of the absentee srs part with a small screw with a small/thin/flat washer...
2- take off ONE thin piece of the feeler gauge, and screw it down on top of the horn wire, this will be your power to the hub.....
3- bend the feeler piece so that it will always touch the metal part of the back of the momo hub...gold part on the hub.... kind of like this:
4- put on the hub and check your feeler gauge piece to ensure your connection there....
*important* to hook up the ground on the horn button first...or else your horn may get a mind of it's own....
5- to do so, connect a ground wire from the back of the button and solder it to the end of the steering column, in the hole....you can try to put it under the bolt there, but i never had much luck with that.

ground symbol looks like one vertical line coming down onto the top of three or four horizontal lines, that get shorter and shorter...

6- connect the power wire from the button to the power wire in the hub, and you should have a fully functioning horn...

btw-- this was about three or so years ago, but i think it's all right. let me know if you have anymore questions......

Last edited by zenkiticks; 02-22-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

thanks, we will take a look 2morrow night to see what we can come up with..its on a 93 right now but we will be doing my 2000 this weekend so im assuming they should both be the same or at least really closely similar.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

so does thet srs thing ( the pic i posted ) stay or does it go
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

i'm pretty sure it goes since you wont have any use for the srs anymore
Old 02-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

well tahts what i was thinkin but then it has the clock spring to stop the turn signals and im just tryin to figure otu a way to prevent having to dig through the wire harness that is under the dash b/c the harness of that srs thing has a harness that plugs into another under teh dash..the wires arent exposed and i am tryin to get around havin to dig thru that
Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
moDUH ratR

zenkiticks has disabled reputation

re-read my post if you hvae ne other questions, tahnks.