Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

aftermarket head unit, OEM rear speakers not working

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 AM
B13 SE-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Netw0rked Netw0rked Netw0rked Netw0rked
Default aftermarket head unit, OEM rear speakers not working

car in question: 91 sentra se-r

i have a JVC KS-36 head unit or something like that, wired everything up right, but the rear speakers don't work. they work for the stock head unit though. i'm thinking it has something to do with the amp wire on the aftermarket head(i don't have an aftermarket amp), but the receiver clip in the dash doesn't have a prong thing for that wire. what do i do? thanks for any and all advice.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: aftermarket head unit, OEM rear speakers not working

What clip? Are you talking about a connector? Why does everyone keep calling connectors "clips"? Everything would be simpler if people stopped using stupid names for things and used the actual names instead. Trust me, no one calls a connector a "clip" outside of a small part of the car scene. I'm done now..

Do you have a factory amp with only the rear speakers on it? I guessing you probably don't in a 91 Sentra, but that could explain why the rears don't work. Maybe there's some strange Bose crap built into the rears.

Check to see if there are any differences in the speaker grounds for the rears between the two head units, for example if the stock head unit uses a common ground and the new head unit doesn't. Whatever it is, it's going to be something really simple.

Oh, also check that there are actually 4 speaker outputs on that JVC (if it's a really cheap head unit, it might only have two) and that the fader isn't set all the way to the front. If you bought it used, maybe it's already damaged.

You don't need to use the remote turn-on wire for an amp if you don't have an amp... I'm not sure if that's what you were trying to say, that part was confusing...

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:07 AM
B13 SE-R

Netw0rked Netw0rked Netw0rked Netw0rked

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
What clip? Are you talking about a connector? Why does everyone keep calling connectors "clips"? Everything would be simpler if people stopped using stupid names for things and used the actual names instead. Trust me, no one calls a connector a "clip" outside of a small part of the car scene. I'm done now..
yes the receiving connector. do you feel accomplished by stressing the fact that i don't know every name for every part? anyways.
the unit is brand new. the only wires coming out of the back speakers are the positives and negatives. and i've read elsewhere that when they wired up the amp/power antenna wire they didn't have problems, but before they wired it the rear speakers wouldn't work. so idk what the fuck to do aside from paying somebody $100 to do something really simple most likely.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Well, if you have to have the remote turn-on connected, that means you probably have a factory amp on the rear speakers. Try it and see what happens. Worst case, it doesn't connect to anything. I'm assuming you're using an adapter harness to plug into the stock radio connector, and therefore you should be able to see if there is a wire in the stock radio connector that mates to the remote turn-on in the adapter harness. If there isn't, you most likely don't have a factory amp.

The clip comment was directed at the community as a whole, not specifically you.