Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Aem wideband install question

Old 12-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyDOHC3L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aem wideband install question

For installation of my uego wideband i had a question. For the power source could i use my after market radio "remote on/blue wire" to power it? Yes or no?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Aem wideband install question

No. Remote turn-on wires only output a fraction of an amp.

Use the switched ignition power, or use the switched ignition power to turn on a relay and get battery power from somewhere. And always use a fuse.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Besides ignition wire tap any other options? Contours have problems with key fobs going fubar after ignition tapping. Maybe a fused jump from the radio power from the fuse?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I imagine Contours only have problems with people adding wiring that don't know what they're doing. I assume the key fobs just expose that fact.

You can run a fused wire from the battery (or some other constant power circuit with enough overhead) to a relay, and use the ignition or some other ignition switched source to activate the relay coil. Trust me, tapping off of the ignition for 0.1 amp to switch a relay coil isn't going to affect anything.

Usually the radio is powered off of the switched ignition also, so therefore if you replaced the radio with an aftermarket radio (of even slightly higher current than stock) then the key fob would die. Tapping extra wires off the ignition wires would mean more current through the ignition circuit, which is the same as replacing the radio with a higher current one. There's your proof that the key fob failure myth is a crock of shit and doesn't actually exist.

Oh, I have a possible explanation... If shade tree installers are tapping off wires and running them close to the transponder stuff, maybe that is inducing a magnetic field that is messing something up.. That doesn't really make sense though, because you can't make a magnetic field without any current running through the wire, and there isn't any current running through the wire if the ignition is off. So again, I think it's people who don't know what they're doing messing things up.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the awesome explanation.... Im off to go buy my parts. Thanks alot!