Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

addinf stuff to gas

Old 01-20-2004, 01:37 PM
PandaMania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts
Default addinf stuff to gas

I was on one of the mazda boards and people have been talking about adding Toluene to their gas system to help prevent detonation. Anyone ever try or hear about doing this?

This was taking from there board
"want to run higher psi, I would recommend at least 93 octane, and then
adding in some Toluene(SP?). You pick this up at a paint store, and it should
be used 1 gal per tank of gas. It is 100% safe, and it is naturally occuring in
pump gas. This will act as the first barrier to detination, and hoping save
some motors."
Old 01-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

yeah there are two main ingredients in gas. those being toluene and xylene. xylene is better since it's around 114 octane i believe. toluene is lower, like 108 or something like that. you can get the stuff in generic brand (xylol) at taylor's do it center. i've used it before and you can tell a minor difference in performance, but i was only using a 10% dilution so there was definitely more power to be had with a stronger mix.....
Old 01-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

It does work, but it can/will dry up/harder your fuel lines, seals. Can also hurt fuel pumps. toluene is not that good for your car. Actually lower octane is better for car but in the since you will have to add more fuel pressure. That has been the age old battle Higher octane or higher fuel pressure .

Methanol or ethanol are good but they are grain and wood alcohol that can eat fuel tanks, rubber lines, seals and aluminum.

Isopropyl(denatured rubbing alcohol) its all right but recommened not to use of 1:10 ratio

Last edited by Boosted2003; 01-20-2004 at 03:14 PM.