Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Acura rsx-s compression test

Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vadrivendc5 has disabled reputation
Default Acura rsx-s compression test

Hi everyone, so I have a 2003 acura rsx type s with 134k miles that seems to be loosing oil somewhere. I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and come up with around 185 psi on all cylinders. I know for most cars this is considered ok but I have read that an rsx in peak condition would have 210 psi. Has anyone else done a compression test on theirs and if so what have they come up with? Is 185 psi not good?

Thanks,
Sarah
Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: Acura rsx-s compression test

Originally Posted by prettybitch
Hi everyone, so I have a 2003 acura rsx type s with 134k miles that seems to be loosing oil somewhere. I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and come up with around 185 psi on all cylinders. I know for most cars this is considered ok but I have read that an rsx in peak condition would have 210 psi. Has anyone else done a compression test on theirs and if so what have they come up with? Is 185 psi not good?

Thanks,
Sarah
So its loosing oil and you think it's the compression?

OK, stop, take a step back and re-focus, we need more info.

Does it leak
Does it smoke
Does it run hot or make any kinds of sounds?

and lastly, do you bang that thing off vtec every chance you get? I'm asking becuase vtec motors drink oil when vtec is engaged.

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/hond...4/#post8283101

let me guess. This is the car?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered member

Sure, let's back up.

No it does not and has not ever leaked, trust me I've been constantly checking and HOPING that there was one. No leaks.

I used to have a free flow exhaust and it would smoke black constantly, I recently got a cat and it has stopped smoking. I have never noticed any puffs of blue smoke upon start up in the morning or while driving so if it is it's at least not noticeable.

The temp gauge is always normal, doesn't run hot no knocks ticks or anything. Honestly it runs great, I've never had any problems with it. It's just a pain in the ass having to check my oil every other morning, it's obviously going somewhere.

And no, I'm not a vtec crazy person. It's my daily driver, I drive from home to work and back again, rarely ever run it hard.

And yes that is my car, which needs to be deleted- I decided to keep it awhile ago.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Did you have the throttle wide open? And a leak down would be more accurate.

Could be valve seals
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 AM
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by I<3Strippers!
Did you have the throttle wide open? And a leak down would be more accurate.

Could be valve seals

this.

compression being low isnt always an indication that the rings are going. sometimes the leakdown test can be more telling, which is why the two are usually done one after the other.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

134k miles on the motor. Someone could have been beating the shit out of it. My guess is either valve seals or rings.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Also depends on how warm the motor was when the compression test was done.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Registered member

I bought it at a local auction with 119k on it and it's had this problem since I bought it. Unfortunately burning oil isn't something you can tell right off the bat. But it wouldn't surprise me if whoever had it before me ran the shit out of it cause I just can't imagine why an acura with only 119k would be burning oil, it's very clean as well the body interior engine everything is clean. I was told I may need to have the bottom end rebuilt but just not sure if it's worth putting the time into.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by prettybitch
I bought it at a local auction with 119k on it and it's had this problem since I bought it. Unfortunately burning oil isn't something you can tell right off the bat. But it wouldn't surprise me if whoever had it before me ran the shit out of it cause I just can't imagine why an acura with only 119k would be burning oil, it's very clean as well the body interior engine everything is clean. I was told I may need to have the bottom end rebuilt but just not sure if it's worth putting the time into.
ok when you say burning oil, how much oil are you loosing over what period of time?

ANY Vtec motor is going to consume it. At your 3K oil changes, it should be lmost to the low mark. Every honda I've ever had does the exact same thing. Even my 04 TSX.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Registered member

I have to check it once a week. I'd say a week after an oil change it's not readable on the stick anymore which leaves with about 2 quarts at the bottom that doesnt register on the oil stick

Quick Reply: Acura rsx-s compression test