Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Acura NSX trans

Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Acura NSX trans

Long story short, GM can't make a strong FWD transmission to save their life. I want to go manual, but the strongest manual GM makes is the Getrags out of the new cobalts (trash) and to the strongest auto's they make is the 4T65E-HD out of the new Grand Prix GTPs. The power I want to put down is probably gonna grenade either of these no matter how much money or parts I throw at em. So, theres a company out there that makes a conversion kit to fit a trans out of an NSX to my motor / car. Here are my questions;

1.) Does anyone have any info on these trans? (the ones out of the NSX) I've googled tons, but the more the better.

2.) Does anyone know an NSX recycling yard or yard / place that would have one of these trans?

3.) Does anyone have any experience with these trannies? Are they sought after? The company I'm buying the kit from claims they can hold passed the 500hp mark, is that right? And is there any place I can buy aftermarket parts (re-gear) it?

I'm looking to throw about $9k ($2.5k trans, $3.5 kit, $3k in strengthening it) into the trans once all is finished. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Joe
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: Acura NSX trans

TRY HERE http://www.intense-racing.com/
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
Thanks, I've already been to instense before, as well as zzperformance. Its not a question of being able to beef up the 4t65, its being able to beef it up enough. Even if I put a LSD, 302 hardened input shaft, shift kit, cooler, and a bunch of other goodies, the trans will eventually fail. (but right now that might be the only viable solution.

The kit is located over at westcoastfiero (www.westcoastfiero.com) if that bit of info helps anyone at all.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

Don't quote me, but the 90-91 maybe up to 92??? had some internal problems. If you use one get a later model than that.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:30 AM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

There was no '90 NSX in America, but the '91-'92 had the snap ring problem. It's uncomon to find one these days that hasn't already broken and been repaired, but a few may still be floating around.

Here's all you ever wanted to know abut the NSX snap ring issue:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubles...ansmission.htm
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 AM
throwbAcura

As far as using the tranny on your car... I doubt anyone makes a kit for it to bolt up to a GM engine but you Fiero weirdos always seem to innovate. I'm sure something could be custom-made.

There were two NSX manual transmissions in America- a 5-speed with crazy long gears ('91-'96) and a six-speed with more reasonable, closer gearing. In other markets diferent gear ratios and final drives were available and it isn't tough to find what you need to shorten up the ratios on an American gearbox.

The five-speeds are very durable. The NSX big dogs have run stock five-speeds on 3000+ lb cars making over 700whp with no problems. The six-speeds may be as strong but most of the high-powered NSXs have the five-speed, partly because they're all earlier cars which are easier to squeeze more power from, and partly because they like the long gearing. So basically, the six-speeds haven't really been put to the test.

As far as availability a lot of NSX owners are swapping over to the six-speed and selling their five-speeds so they'll pop up once in a while on the Prime Marketplace. You can still buy a new six-speed, but they're pricey.

You can find most anything you need at ScienceofSpeed, from shorter gears for the five-speed to a brand new six-speed... and even fully custom five- and six-speed transmissions.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc.../gears_LSD.asp

And if you give them a call they can most likely answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by dave22; 10-10-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by dave22
As far as using the tranny on your car... I doubt anyone makes a kit for it to bolt up to a GM engine but you Fiero weirdos always seem to innovate. I'm sure something could be custom-made.

And if you give them a call they can most likely answer any questions you may have.

Thanks dave and all for the info.

As far as getting kit for it, sure we do (http://www.westcoastfiero.com/transm...transaxle.html)

Generally how much does a NSX engine go for? Are they hot on the market for swaps? I was wondering because (as of right now) theres only one transaxle on ebay, and I'm short for the $$ right now, but see more trans and engine combos. (buy the combo, sell the engine)

Thanks again for everyones help!

Joe
Old 10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're willing on throwing $9k at the tranny, have you thought about using a better tranny than the NSX? I don't know exactly what's on the market for your particular application, but check out Quaife, Hewland, Ricardo, Xtrac, Sadev, etc. You may be able to get a gear set for whatever GM tranny you choose also, assuming the case is strong enough. If you're willing to thow that much money into a 80s Fiero though, why not go with the whole NSX drivetrain, engine and all? I just think it's a lot of cash to bolt onto a L67..
Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

soon2b has disabled reputation

if you are lookin to use a gm tranny and claim that they cant make one strong enough to hold 500 hp, you should call the guys at ultimate ( charlie shafer and jason hunt) they have a sfwd cobalt that puts down way more that 500 hp and has seen i believe 9.30 at like 155 quater mile passes on a auto gm tranny...so maybe u should talk to them about your options with the cobalt trannies....just my opinion
Old 10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
throwbAcura

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Generally how much does a NSX engine go for? Are they hot on the market for swaps? I was wondering because (as of right now) theres only one transaxle on ebay, and I'm short for the $$ right now, but see more trans and engine combos. (buy the combo, sell the engine)
That might be a good idea. The prices for used engines will vary depending on the year and mileage but if you keep an eye on the Prime Merketplace you can get a good idea of what people ask for them.

Not many people are trying to swap them into other cars but there's always a market within the NSX community.