Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ABS sideskirts

Old 06-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Patron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus
Default ABS sideskirts

I got some ABS sideskirts for my car. One has some hairline cracks on it anyone has any ideas on fixing it?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: ABS sideskirts

Hairline cracks on the surface or all the way through? Is is painted?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Patron

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Hairline cracks on the surface or all the way through? Is is painted?
all the way through yes it painted but going to sand it down
Old 06-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There are all kinds of adhesives for body repair and general ABS bonding that will work fairly well on ABS, it's pretty easy to adhere to.
I think it can be hot welded too, you could find someone with a plastic welder and give it a shot.. That would be the best way to do it, because you can groove the front and then weld it up, making the crack gone, not just covered up. The back is obviously easier for cosmetic reasons.. If you don't weld it, chances are the crack will either get worse or at least crack your fresh paint..

Who knows, if you're really good with a propane torch, you may be able to hand weld it with a little strip of ABS scrap.. Be lucky it's not polypropylene or TPO, nothing bolds to them very well at all, and they're hard to hot weld too..
Old 06-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Patron

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There are all kinds of adhesives for body repair and general ABS bonding that will work fairly well on ABS, it's pretty easy to adhere to.
I think it can be hot welded too, you could find someone with a plastic welder and give it a shot.. That would be the best way to do it, because you can groove the front and then weld it up, making the crack gone, not just covered up. The back is obviously easier for cosmetic reasons.. If you don't weld it, chances are the crack will either get worse or at least crack your fresh paint..

Who knows, if you're really good with a propane torch, you may be able to hand weld it with a little strip of ABS scrap.. Be lucky it's not polypropylene or TPO, nothing bolds to them very well at all, and they're hard to hot weld too..
thanks for the info I went to get some ABS bonding from autozone. I hope that works. Its not that bad its just the fact I know its there and stop it before it gets any worst.