Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ABS 36mm axles???

Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG
Default ABS 36mm axles???

OK so I've been searching and I know there are TONS of threads that talk about the JDM ITR 5 lug conversion and the different ins and outs when it comes to the 36mm axles.

Now my problem is that I have that conversion with the 36mm axles that came with it but my GSR has ABS (obviously) and the ABS light is on.

I know King Motorsports sells the JDM 36mm axles but my question is;
Do they make the 36mm axles with ABS? I hate having that light on on my cluster and more importantly, I need it to pass inspection.

Any help/pointers would help.

Thanks

Here's the link to king motorsports.
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-309...l-0-axles.aspx

These have the abs gears but then again, it's just a photo.

Last edited by HEISENBERG; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: ABS 36mm axles???

Sorry, what's the question?

So it sounds like you have 36mm axles but they don't have the ABS encoder rings on them? So you're wondering whether the axles that King sells have the ABS rings on them because your axles don't...?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Ok, well the axles that King sells (Driveshaft Shop) have removable ABS rings. So IF those are the same axles you have, you might just be able to get the rings from The Driveshaft Shop. If they aren't the same axles you have, who knows.

Here's the axle that King sells (I verified the part numbers):

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...c-axle-level-0
Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

Perfect.
Do you know if they sell just the rings?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Racetracks

I assume they probably would. Give them a call, they're right in Salisbury NC.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

Sweet.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

Pulled the code for the ABS light that was on and it was the pass side sensor so I pulled it and cleaned. Still throwing the same code.
Also, I saw that the axles ARE ABS axles.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Racetracks

Having a dirty sensor doesn't matter really, because the dirt doesn't interfere with the magnetic field that the sensor uses. Make sure that the sensor isn't too far away (the sensor bracket isn't bent, etc) and if it looks fine then it's most likely a sensor failure. You might be able to swap the sensor from the other side and see if the problem follows that sensor. Sometimes the cables are different lengths at different corners so it's not always practical or possible to do that.

Oh, also check that the encoder ring isn't cracked. I had a car with a cracked ring and the ring was expanding and smacking the sensor. The sensors aren't especially rugged under conditions like that.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

Can I just test it with a multimeter first?
Where can I find out about how many ohms I should be looking at?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Racetracks

If it's a hall effect sensor, you can't usually test them with a multimeter because they have active electronics inside. If it's a variable reluctance sensor, you can test it with a multimeter because it's basically a coil of wire and a pole piece.

Looking at this thread:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1584925

It appears that it's probably a variable reluctance sensor because that silver on the tip is the pole piece. Makes sense though, because VR sensors are very robust because of their simplicity. So you should be able to test it with a multimeter. I'm not sure why cleaning it is going to make it work better, unless the dirt and gunk is metallic or can somehow make a magnetic leakage path. Basically the sensor works by detecting when the ferrous teeth on the encoder ring interrupt the magnetic field at the end of the pole piece. The coil works like an electromagnet in reverse, it amplifies the detected magnetic interruption.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-06-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS 36mm axles???