Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

about to swap an accord, need help

Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
james two has disabled reputation
Default about to swap an accord, need help

i have a 96 accord ex sedan, its automatic, were wanting to swap since its high milage and the tranny went out, one guy told me he would buy all the stuff and do the swap, it would cost me 5-6k for him to buy all the stuff and convert it to 5speed, i just wanna know which should i get to make it easier install? h22a from jdm is looking nice with 220hp, but will it be easy to get that engine wired to usdm? and does anyone know a shop around 540 that does custom installs because i dont wanna waste the money to do this if its gonna be a nightmare, i could take the money and run and buy something different, but my wife loves the body style of the accord. any info will be greatful.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: about to swap an accord, need help

There really isn't much difference between USDM and JDM engines, and there is only very minor differences in wiring. The bigger picture is that if you pay a shop to do the swap and the conversion, you're not going to really get your money out of whatever you pay for that. So if you pay 5-6k for the swap and conversion, you should be prepared to kiss almost that entire sum of money goodbye. If you did the swap yourself (or with a friend) you'd save a decent amount of money on labor, so you wouldn't be wasting as much money. Either way, you're going to lose most of the money you put into the car. So be prepared for that.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

OP,

The swap is not that bad except for a few things. You will have to extend the wires that go over the valve cover because with the H22 you have the extra Cam so to speak. You will also have to modify the p/s line to make for the larger engine. Now when I did mine I did not realize that until it was to late so I had to cut the line and extend it with a barb fitting. Now the issue with this is that it is not safe and will blow off if you cut the wheel all the way. Trust me it happened more than once.

I would be interested in doind the swap if you need someone to. PM me if your interested. Either way good luck.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

thanks, i found a guy who will do the swap for $600, ive ordered the engine and everything already, i just hope swapping from auto to manual goes right. thats the only part that has me worried. other then that i went with hasport mounts and the obd2 to obd1 harness and a chipped p13 ecu. cam gears,4-2-1 header and megan racing catback,ractive short ram intake, stage 2 clutch, new timing belt and water pump, valve cover gasket and grommets. it should be decent when done. i went with the 200hp jdm h22a black top has less then 35k miles. 55hp more then stock. shouldent be too bad.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by james two
thanks, i found a guy who will do the swap for $600, ive ordered the engine and everything already, i just hope swapping from auto to manual goes right. thats the only part that has me worried. other then that i went with hasport mounts and the obd2 to obd1 harness and a chipped p13 ecu. cam gears,4-2-1 header and megan racing catback,ractive short ram intake, stage 2 clutch, new timing belt and water pump, valve cover gasket and grommets. it should be decent when done. i went with the 200hp jdm h22a black top has less then 35k miles. 55hp more then stock. shouldent be too bad.
actually i ordered the redtop 220hp lsd trans, jdm p13 ecu, clutchmaster stage 2, new timing kit w/ water pump. the stock engine came with a jazma header. now i need to get a silent catback and its going in soon
Old 01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

"ordered a timing kit" as in" the motor will come to your door with a fresh timing belt and water pump", or you are going to have the parts in front of you and actually have a new tb/wp?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by boredom
"ordered a timing kit" as in" the motor will come to your door with a fresh timing belt and water pump", or you are going to have the parts in front of you and actually have a new tb/wp?
yes i bought it myself and going to install the belt and water pump when the engine gets in, also got a set of adjustable camgears to be a lil flashy,
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple

I wouldnt pay 5-6 grand for all that. Just buy a new car for all that money, geez. Get a 5speed coupe Accord dood. Here ya go http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/2190827001.html

The wifey should like this one. yeah?