Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

99 gsr surging at cold start

Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 AM
vtak!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsershatch has disabled reputation
Default 99 gsr surging at cold start

started my car up this morn and i noticed it was surging, when it gets up to temp it quits surging, i've been told to clean the fitv, but i have a 99 motor and i cant seem to find this fitv...my throttel body has only one hole for iacv, its a 99 converted to obd1...need answers!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM

4door_GSR has disabled reputation
Default Re: 99 gsr surging at cold start

on the back side of your intake manifold the part that is facing the fire wall it should be a eiac valve it has 2 coolent lines going to it and a eletrical plug undo the two 12mm bolts take it off and clean the hell out of it with brake clean , throttle cleaner, parts cleaner, wut ever you can get your hands on it should take care of the surging if not it will make it alot better and if it only makes it better and doesnt fix it then replace it
Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

nazir1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem like two weeks ago you might need to change you intake manifold gasket it's really easy. and if it does need to be replaced use some RTV high heat silicone as well to really seal it up good.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

DO NOT, DO NOT Clean your IAC valve with brake parts cleaner. Their is a little plastic ball inside of the IACV and the chemicals in the brake parts cleaner will eat it. Get some electronics parts cleaner or just use carb and choke cleaner. It does sound like your problem. Any Check engine lights?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you have a lighter than stock flywheel, that can sometimes affect the idle also. The engine changes RPM faster than stock with a light flywheel, so idle will change quicker with small changes in IACV opening.. Usually this isn't caused only by a light flywheel though, it just exaggerates a problem that is already there, like a clogged IACV screen, etc.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
vtak!

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
DO NOT, DO NOT Clean your IAC valve with brake parts cleaner. Their is a little plastic ball inside of the IACV and the chemicals in the brake parts cleaner will eat it. Get some electronics parts cleaner or just use carb and choke cleaner. It does sound like your problem. Any Check engine lights?
no check engine lights, just replaced the IACV

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you have a lighter than stock flywheel, that can sometimes affect the idle also. The engine changes RPM faster than stock with a light flywheel, so idle will change quicker with small changes in IACV opening.. Usually this isn't caused only by a light flywheel though, it just exaggerates a problem that is already there, like a clogged IACV screen, etc.
i have a type r flywheel on a 6 puck stage 3 clutch...its been converted to OBD 1 since i bought everything...dunno if that would mean anything in this situation
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute

You could need an idle adjustment. Look on your throttle body, if you're facing the opening there should be a circular screw (in upper left hand corner, I believe). Take a flat head and tighten it up some (or loosen it but most of the time it's tightening that helps). No, you don't have a fitv, I think those stopped being used in '96 for Integras. If that doesn't do it for you, after you visually inspect your vacuum lines, take some starter fluid and give a little spray around the vacuum lines (not coolant lines or electronics) and see if doing so in any area causes the motor to rev a little higher then come down. If so, you have a vacuum leak there. If that doesn't work, take a little coolant out of your radiator and refill with the bleeder valve open (an air bubble can cause surging). And if that doesn't do it, try a valve adjustment. And if that doesn't do it - drink some beer and say fu** it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
vtak!

Originally Posted by cr1m3rat3z
You could need an idle adjustment. Look on your throttle body, if you're facing the opening there should be a circular screw (in upper left hand corner, I believe). Take a flat head and tighten it up some (or loosen it but most of the time it's tightening that helps). No, you don't have a fitv, I think those stopped being used in '96 for Integras. If that doesn't do it for you, after you visually inspect your vacuum lines, take some starter fluid and give a little spray around the vacuum lines (not coolant lines or electronics) and see if doing so in any area causes the motor to rev a little higher then come down. If so, you have a vacuum leak there. If that doesn't work, take a little coolant out of your radiator and refill with the bleeder valve open (an air bubble can cause surging). And if that doesn't do it, try a valve adjustment. And if that doesn't do it - drink some beer and say fu** it.
so even with the obd1 manifold i shouldn't need that fitv? once the motor gets warm enough it quits with the surging.