Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

99 CIVIC SI. Taching out way before redline!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95MustangGT has disabled reputation
Default 99 CIVIC SI. Taching out way before redline!

Well i have a 99 SI. Here is the story, i have posted numerous threads about it but nothing on it yet. Full story!

Bought the car, test drove it and this thing CRACKED into vtec! Drove it around for about 20 minutes before making the deal. Drove fine! On the way home on 95 i was gettin on it and it hit around 6500 and it the rpms were taching out it sounded like. Of course, this car redlines at 8 so it had more to go. Stopped at the gas station, put a hose back on which i thought was the problem. It didn't do it then, 10 minutes back into driving it, it did it again! Now ever since then it would do it on and off. If i havent went into vtec for awhile, when i would do it it would do it fine.

For example, tonight i was racing my dads 240sx. bone stock he just bought it. Started the car up and let up warm up before we raced, raced and it didnt do it. He beat me anyway by about 3 car lengths. After slowing down to stop at the next light, complete stop. Start going, 2nd gear we did it again and it tached out at around 6500-7.

It does it alot on the highway, if i drop it and down and hit the gas and go it will go into vtec and it will tach out most of the time on the highway if i do that.

Now, im pretty sure i have no vacuum leaks. I recently was reading up that my car only takes 4.2 quarts of oil, i usually put 5 1/2 in. ( thats when it reads full on the dipstick ). I know vtec is powered by oil pressure ( atleast thats what i heard ). If i have to much oil in the car, that could defintely effect it, correct?

On the vtec solenoid i have a wire comming down from under the solenoid cover. Just hanging down, thats it. I was told by some people on here you don't need it, its fine. But reading in a book, that piece is called a VTEC SOLENOID CONNECTOR. To me, that means that it isn't even kicking in if that isnt working.

Let me know if you had this problem with your SI, or anything with vtec!

I don't molest this car, only when im racing and when i first got it to enjoy the vtec, i baby this thing.

Also, as my name says i used to be a 5.0 guy, so im slowly learning about Hondas, i wanted to get the best of both worlds!

EDIT: Also, i feel like this car is lacking power, or is it normal a bone stock 93 s13 240sx beat me buy about 3-4 car lengths from a stop? And i wasn't pulling on him at all, he was just adding up and adding up lengths.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

DCvtec has disabled reputation
Default Re: 99 CIVIC SI. Taching out way before redline!

Is the check engine light on? if so fixed that first... make sure the light is coming on when you turn the key two clicks forward.... should come on and go off after a few seconds... Yes that wire on the vtec solenoid should be hooked up, im not sure how vtec could cross if thats not hooked up. Hook that up and see how it feels... a stock si should take a s13 for sure!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

yeah my check engine light is on, but for an 02 sensor. I have a midpipe on the car and was told that i didn't need an 02 sensor because it wouldn't do anything. I know i shouldnt go by what i was told but hey, they are expensive!

that wire is just hanging down, there is no connector that it goes in. Im guessing it fell off? I dont even see where the connector would connect to anyway. Ill have to take a clear picture. I think that could definetly be my problem though.

Last edited by 95MustangGT; 11-07-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:54 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

if that wire isnt hooked up...its impossible for the VTEC to work. point blank. Also if there are check engine lights, depending on which codes they are, VTEC will not work either. You should be putting lengths on the S13.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

awww... no vtec?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:58 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

I don't know what "taching out" is but you should probably check the oil level before you do anything else.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tatmonster
if that wire isnt hooked up...its impossible for the VTEC to work. point blank. Also if there are check engine lights, depending on which codes they are, VTEC will not work either. You should be putting lengths on the S13.

I checked the code, its a 02 sensor. Also, where can i find a vtec solenoid at? Because i don't see where this wire would hook up to, i know it goes into a connector, then the connector of course connects somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B16-V...Q5fAccessories

if you click on that, its the the oil pressure switch connector thats missing, its the other connector. I dont even see where that would hook up anyway. Its JUST THE WIRE also, it doesnt have the connector on it either.

Last edited by 95MustangGT; 11-07-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dave22
I don't know what "taching out" is but you should probably check the oil level before you do anything else.
maybe i spelt it wrong?

everytime it has done it, i've checked it and its fine. Even does it right after a fresh oil change. I dont think oil is my problem.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 95MustangGT
maybe i spelt it wrong?

everytime it has done it, i've checked it and its fine. Even does it right after a fresh oil change. I dont think oil is my problem.
No, he means, does it sound like its hitting rev limiter? Taching out really doesnt say or describe it well.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tatmonster
No, he means, does it sound like its hitting rev limiter? Taching out really doesnt say or describe it well.
yep, sorry for the misunderstandings!

Quick Reply: 99 CIVIC SI. Taching out way before redline!