Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

98 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE HELP!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSchafuR has disabled reputation
Default 98 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE HELP!!!

i Bought a 1998 honda civic EX coupe and the engine lights on(i know). but if im sitting still i'll over heat. but if im driving i won't. like its getting no airflow. can someone help. i think its the thermostat or maybe the radiator is plugged up somewhere.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered member

Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now! Subscribe Now!
Default Re: 98 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE HELP!!!

its not ur thermostat if it was i would still overheat while u are moving. check your radiator fan. if it doesnt turn on, check your fuses and relays. if they are good run a continuity test on the fan. if that works then check the next answer.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
-RepLegion

SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec

Originally Posted by GSchafuR
i Bought a 1998 honda civic EX coupe and the engine lights on(i know). but if im sitting still i'll over heat. but if im driving i won't. like its getting no airflow can someone help. i think its the thermostat or maybe the radiator is plugged up somewhere.
so you overheat when you're sitting still, but once you start driving you don't overheat anymore? And you get no airflow...maybe you're choking on something?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by luvmyhondas
its not ur thermostat if it was i would still overheat while u are moving. check your radiator fan. if it doesnt turn on, check your fuses and relays. if they are good run a continuity test on the fan. if that works then check the next answer.
This.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

double check to c if fans work, what ^ he said. Re plug the connection just incase, squeeze radiator hoses to see if they tore from anywhere. then learn where to post a thread cuz this is supposed to be in tech talk.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check the fan switch. They often fail after a decade or so. Overheating while only sitting still in the summer usually means that the fan isn't turning on.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

OP im willing to bet your fan isn't working, do the above posted and report back

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-24-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Cleaning up after troll..
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

maxtuned has disabled reputation

Don't just replace the fan. From what I read, you just bought it. Do a complete overhaul meaning change your radiator, hoses, thermostat, waterpump.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

GSchafuR has disabled reputation

Fixed the problem. The Fan was waiting till it got to the H to turn on. so i wired up a switch to the Fan Relay.
Attached Thumbnails 98 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE HELP!!!-310827_269945553032984_100000526243557_1015683_950616_n.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you didn't fix the problem, you bypassed the problem and still don't know what the problem actually is. It still sounds like you need a new fan thermoswitch. It's cheap and easy to replace.

The fan is turning on at the wrong temperature, but it's still turning on based on temperature. That means the fan thermoswitch, which is what turns the fan on at a certain temperature, is not working properly.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-20-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE HELP!!!