Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

'96 Lude Won't Start

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TypeSTurbo has disabled reputation
Default '96 Lude Won't Start

Ok so here's the deal...'96 Prelude SR-V. I regretfully sold it a year and a half ago. After longing to have it back for over a year, I tracked it down and bought it back from the guy. When I sold it, it was in tip-top shape and ran like a dream. However, when I re-purchased the car, it was not running. I figured it would be an easy fix since I've been working on them for a little over 5 years. Anyway, the motor will turn over, but WILL NOT START. I have tried everything to my knowledge to get this thing running. It is driving me nuts. Like I said, when I attempt to start the car, it turns over, but just wont start. When the key is turned to the "on" position I can hear the fuel pump pressurize and I even loosened the fuel line to make sure it was making it to the injectors. Along with that, I have also replaced the injectors and "o" rings and made sure all wiring/fuses are good. The engine has no sign of water damage in any way. No water in oil or gas, but both have been replaced regardless. I even added several cans of octane booster to the unleaded 93. Both sets removed clean with no oil. The engine has no problem turning manually therefore I know it is not hydro-locked nor stuck from sitting so long. I have thoroughly checked all ground wires and vaccum lines with the guidence of a repair manual. I even ADDED grounds. I have also replaced the Main Relay AND the Ignition Switch. Along with that, I have also replaced the distributor. I tried JDM H22A internal coil dizzy w/ oem and msd rotor and cap. I then tried USDM H22A external coil dizzy w/ OEM and MSD rotor and Cap. I replaced the spark plugs twice with new NGK plugs. I even tried OEM plug wires alond with my already installed Nology Hot wires. I also tried using an MSD Blaster 3 external ignition coil. With and without the already installed Nology Powercore hooked up, still no START. I pulled the spark plug and touched it on the block while trying to start the car. NOTHING! I know motors are NOT THAT COMPLICATED. You need air, fuel and spark. I obviously have air. The fuel is there, so for some reason I am not getting a spark. If anyone has ANY INFO that might get this damn thing running, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default Re: '96 Lude Won't Start

Whoa...break it down with the cliff's..
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 AM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that it's not your timing belt. If your belt has snapped you can manually turn the crank and all will feel well, but since the belt is broke, the exhaust cam is not turning (H22 motor) which means you won't receive spark because the distributor is cam driven... Check your timing belt by removing the upper plastic cover (held on by a couple 10 mm bolts) on the driver side of the motor. It's located on the right side of valve cover when facing the engine from the front of the car.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

F4Ryder has disabled reputation

if not timing belt check compression which is the fourth thing you need for a motor to run
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check the timing belt, check the timing, check the ECU.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

TypeSTurbo has disabled reputation

The timing belt is fine, I never reinstalled the cover when I had it off a few years ago. Compression is A-OK as well. This sucks.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

krazdracer has disabled reputation

check for voltage at coil?
check Ecu?