Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

'96 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder......oxygen sensor fault

Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 PM
<----BigBake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative
Default '96 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder......oxygen sensor fault

So Honda stuff is greek to me. Got a friend with this Accord, and its throwing an O2 sensor code. Are they pretty prone to failure with higher mileage? Just wanted to clarify....I know its totally possible, but I am used to the BMW world.....when the oxygen sensor fault could just be a software issue. I'm brainwashed.

1. Common for up/down stream oxygen sensors to fail? Any other possible causes, or generally just the sensor?

2. Anyone have an aftermarket supplier, preferably online.....for oxygen sensors? Advanced Auto wants $139 for the downstream

3. The pigtail for the downstream looks long......where is the sensor itself? Fairly easily accessed with a floorjack? (I know its after the cat, just wanted to know where in relation to the car it actually is). Also, where the pigtail connector is.

I don't have the car in front of me, or I'd look myself.

TIA
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
<----BigBake

LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative
Default Re: '96 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder......oxygen sensor fault

Better yet......anyone got one laying around that is good?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Its usually the sensor.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

O2 sensors fail, they're pretty fragile and tend to destroy themselves after a while.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

For an OBD2 car, you typically have 2 sensors. One before the cat and another post.
Regardless, they can be tough to remove, but not due to inaccessibility - they tend to fuse to the sensor bung over time and due to heat.
I wouldn't risk buying a used one, since it's difficult to determine condition. Plus, they help control fuel ratio, so with a new one you should see better performance and economy.

Rather than the dealer or parts store, try buying NTK or Denso sensors online. In a pinch, you can use a universal sensor and solder the wires back to the old connector. The only thing that makes 4 wire O2 sensors unique for a specific app is the connector/wire length.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
<----BigBake

Thanks, I know how they work......just not familiar with Honda's application or common problems.